PDA

View Full Version : no more hubble

slothman
01-17-2004, 02:45 AM
NASA has decided to cut funding to Hubble repair missions. I believe there are other space telescopes in the works but I don't know when they will be operational. This mainly comes Bush's new policy the NASA should use less shuttle missions and deals more with the ISS. A petition to keep it can be found here: http://savethehubble.org/petition.jsp

Kirby of Doom
01-17-2004, 01:08 PM
I can see it two different ways. On the one hand, why keep it when we get something better. On the other hand, it would be a shame to just get rid of such an icon. But, I guess it all depends on what's happening in 2010. Afterall, that's 6 years away and by then Hubble might not be working properly anymore.

cyberkiller6276
01-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Well, I think the reason they pulled these missions is that NASA wanted as little potential as possible for accidents. It's not for budgeting reasons, but for safety.

gdorf
01-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Well, I think the reason they pulled these missions is that NASA wanted as little potential as possible for accidents. It's not for budgeting reasons, but for safety.

Actually, It is indeed for budgeting issues. Most of the plans NASA has to save the Hubble involve non-manned aircraft assisting it in its orbit, which wouldn't pose any danger to human life. But, with the floury of new plans around NASA lately, Hubble is a dinosaur. Right now everything is about a Mars trip and the Moon. No one gives a rip about hubble anymore. I say let the beast fall in the name of science. There will be more powerful telescopes in the future.

slothman
01-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Of course there will be better scopes but it's still the best one now. And everything doesn't have to be about Mars and the Moon. And going into space to Mars is already unsafe. We should spend some money now until a better one comes.