PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Quests

Cloral
01-16-2004, 04:06 AM
That's my big problem. I've started a few, but never gotten past about level 3 in my design. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I could stay more motivated and actually finish one?

ShadowTiger
01-16-2004, 08:42 AM
I would think of some awesome, non-standard idea, and try to edit some tiles to fit that. For example, perhaps, in those mines of yours, Cloral, you can add some stars into the area "not seen" by Link, like outside of the walls? Maybe some darkened areas in pits and holes? Don't forget to add little fluttery animations of bats in it.

If you can breathe extra life into your areas, it may make you proud / happy enough to display it, and keep working on it to show it off. :naughty: That's what I do.

DarkFlameWolf
01-16-2004, 03:27 PM
make stuff as it comes to your mind, regardless if it sucks balls or not. That's how I managed to finish Hidden Duality. I kept working regardless if what I was making was good or not. And after it was finished, THEN, I went back and looked at all I had made and changed, revised and improved everything there until it was to my satisifaction. Maybe having a basic blueprint already made and down in Zquest will help you surge forward and finish a quest.

Cloral
01-16-2004, 06:26 PM
That's a good point. After all, I did spend quite a bit of time worrying about how interconnections were going to work later on in my quest, instead of just building stuff.

Raichu86
01-16-2004, 08:23 PM
I never thought of doing it DFW's way. That seems like a good approach.

My suggestion is to not overdo it. I didn't have too much trouble completing my first two quests, which are for 1.90. However, I've been having trouble completing my 3rd quest because there's just too much for me to get done... I can't get motivated to do it because it takes so long.

Freedom
01-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Yea, these "layered" quests are a lot of work, I got almost the whole north overworld map done on "The Search for Elise" and it locked me out, had to open it in the 163, so that scrambled everything, then I started over.
have about 12 screens done now.

In Swansong I opened it one day and the combos were all scrambled and out of place, took me 2 days to reset all of them.

When I get tired of working on screens I work on custom maps or some new tiles, that breaks it up a bit and keeps it from getting too boring, sometimes I just walk away from it, and do movies for a while in place of it.

I've noticed that the people that want to take zquest to its limits seldom finish quests, so maybe the old saying "keep it simple stupid" was invented by a quest maker :)

I think the best advice is when you start getting burned out on it, take a day or two off from it, I know if I don't, I end up doing things two or three times from stupid mistakes.

DarkFlameWolf
01-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Raichu, my idea may just help you finish Conquest for Power too. Just don't think, just put your ideas, regardless of how dumb they are into Zquest and then go back later when you have the basic blueprint, to fix and tidy things up to you satisfaction.