PDA

View Full Version : More help on warping please

Espo
01-11-2004, 02:57 PM
I have posted a question about this previously and had some helpful hints offered but I'm afraid the problem has not yet been solved. If some of the more clever users on this forum could check this post out and offer some sagely wisdom I would be forever grateful. Here's the previous post.

http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76930

ShadowTiger
01-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Best Bet: Make Duplicates of everything. Then set all the warps as necessary. The player won't even be able to tell the difference between the different maps if you don't want them to. ;) You can always use as many maps as you need to get what you want. Whatever makes things easier for you, is probably the best option, man. ;)

Verbatim
01-13-2004, 05:59 PM
You could get really tricky with boss flags and tile warps and pull off what you want...but you'll have to think it through carefully to make sure you get it all right, and it'll take a fair number of Dmaps per level...but not necessarily so very many maps, and you won't have to make copies of all the levels.

Here's how it would work for one level:

Let's start with a map of the level, the way you'll see it when you're designing:

W W(2) W(3)
S S(2) S(3)
S S(2) S(3)
L
LLLL
L

W is the room you warp to and from the hub in.
S is a group of special rooms used to enable you to access the level, but only return to the proper warp room
L are the actual rooms of the level.

The L rooms and the first W room are all on the same Dmap, let's call it Dmap 1, with level number 1.

The S rooms, on the other hand, are on Dmap 2, with level number two. Scrolling side-warps are used to warp between the lower S room and the L rooms, and the upper S room and the W room, so that the player changes Dmaps while in the S rooms.

When the boss of level one is killed, use the boss-flag trick to make the warp appear in the W room.

When the boss of level two is killed, make that change the floor tiles of the lower S room to pit-warps, which take you to the lower S(2) room. That way, you can warp the player from the second hub to the W(2) room, they'll walk through the S(2) rooms, be sidewarped to the L rooms, then when they return, they'll be sidewarped to the original S rooms, which will pit-warp them to the S(2) rooms, and they'll end up in the W(2) warp room, which will take them back to the second hub.

For the second change, you can fill the upper S(2) room with pit-warps via a boss-flag, which will take the player to the S(3) rooms and the W(3) room, so they return to the third hub.

In all, this plan would take 4 dmaps for the level pictured: one for the level and the original warp room, a second for the original S rooms, the third for the S(2) and W(2) rooms, and the fourth for the S(3) and W(3) rooms.

If you use it...a word of caution: don't put anything in the S rooms and W rooms that can kill the player, since that could cause serious problems with the player re-starting on the wrong Dmap.

Espo
01-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Verbatim, that is just the kind of clever thinking I've been looking for. I think it'll work. Thanks.