PDA

View Full Version : Online with Cox...

Rijuhn
01-10-2004, 08:04 PM
I offically have broadband cable internet starting today! It kicks so much ass it's amazing! We have a wireless router and PCI cards connecting all 4 of the computers online at the same time. It's great but I'll tell you one thing that is not great...Windows XP. It seems that the software for my PCI wireless modem really hates Windows XP and decides to freeze up my start menu and use up 100% of my CPU. Well anyways I uninstalled Windows XP and reverted back to Windows ME and everything works great.

Pablo
01-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Ack, ME! Nooo!

If XP doesn't work for you, try 98. Should be able to find a nice, cheap copy, and 98 is worlds better than ME.

Still, though, wireless Internet rocks, doesn't it?

Ich
01-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Windows 2000 is a far superior choice. I have it and it is stable and fast. Get a copy from a friend or (Ack!) buy one. It's way better than ME.

Master Ghaleon
01-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
I offically have broadband cable internet starting today! It kicks so much ass it's amazing!

You dont have to rub it in to us dial up users :D I wish that I could get that.

Daarkseid
01-11-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Pablo

Still, though, wireless Internet rocks, doesn't it?

It sure does.. our actual internet connection is down at the moment, but I'm still online because somebody else in my neighborhood is using the same model of wireless router, without any security in place.

They're using qwest.net, while we use cableone.net.

slothman
01-11-2004, 06:31 AM
You've found the one thing that XP doesn't like but ME does. I hope all my hardware works under XP.

Rijuhn
01-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Okay, wanna know an update story? Well, I'll tell you anyway. My dad found out updated drivers for Windows XP for the PCI card dating January 7th, which was the day my dad called about the problem with Windows XP. So my dad got the newest drivers and installed Windows XP back on his computer as did I. We got the broadband working on both of our computers with Windows XP as our OS. A day later my computer totally screwed up and I think I now have a virus on my computer. There is a really big boot up problem with my computer, but my dad's computer is fine. So this weekend I'm going to reformat and reinstall everything properly this time.

Rainman
01-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
It sure does.. our actual internet connection is down at the moment, but I'm still online because somebody else in my neighborhood is using the same model of wireless router, without any security in place.

They're using qwest.net, while we use cableone.net.

Heh, my friends and I were having a Lan party a little bit ago, but unfortunately didn't have any internet. One of us did have a wireless router and we were picking up a signal somewhere in the neighborhood. It wasn't quite strong enough, but it would've been awsome to steal that internet connection. :D

Rijuhn
01-16-2004, 10:55 AM
We are pretty lucky ourselves because we are the only ones in this redneck area to have cable internet, let alone know how to use a computer, hehe.