PDA

View Full Version : Follower People

CJC
01-08-2004, 08:32 PM
I read in the beta reports that three stationary people and three walking people have been added to one of the betas. So I'm asking if the programmers are going to add/have already added people that follow the player on the screen (Hopefully as a dmap selectable thing)

Sephiroth
01-08-2004, 08:33 PM
That would be nice for that too.. I hope I can see that happen. :p

Dechipher
01-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I doubt that's implementable, the people following. Too much stuff needed that isn't added yet. I think they are talking about people you can talk to on specific screens.

ShadowTiger
01-09-2004, 08:25 AM
It's like.. NPC's.. like.. I think that they work as enemies, but can't hurt you, and walk around (I guess) at about the speed of a Zol. (I mean, not like they have anywhere to go! :laughing: ) The question is, will they be walkable, or will they go on "layer 3?" Because, I mean, for once, something will be walking on you without hurting you, so won't be repelling you away via that damage bounce, but you'll still be occupying the same space. .. hmm.. most interesting.

idontknow
01-10-2004, 10:00 AM
yea, that's one prob i had w/ the NPCs before, that you can walk on them; though they can't hurt you, they should be able to sort of "shove" you, (like being a moveable, unwalkable combo or space) so that if you are infront of them and they head towards you, then you get pushed in that direction as well.

redmage777
01-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Or they can stop/change direction, as a real person woud, Or the message is triggerd when the bump into you.

ShadowTiger
01-10-2004, 09:42 PM
O_O Dayamn.. that's a good idea! You should put that in Suggestions, Redmage. :) That just ruled! :kawaii: If they changed directions when they sensed you, there wouldn't be all that much trouble with them, because they wouldn't be in a position to have themselves stepped on. :)

redmage777
01-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Go ahead, Make it for me... I have yet to see the NCPs in play (I am not a Beta tester) So I will let one of you who know more about how it works now it make the intal suggestion.

Dark Nation
01-11-2004, 11:31 PM
At the moment, NPC's are basically enemies that nothing can interact with. This will change when they are finalized.

ShadowTiger
01-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks. Change into what exactly? What did you have plans?

Dark Nation
01-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I have no idea. :D

They will probably act like moving walk flags (so you can't walk on top of them, nor can enemies) and when you attack them at close range, you actually talk instead (they would probably get assigned a string variable).

redmage777
01-12-2004, 03:32 PM
My Question is how the Graphics for them will be handled? Is there a limit on how many differaint NCPs we can have?

ShadowTiger
01-12-2004, 04:11 PM
My current estimation is that there will be a number of NPC's for each Cset, 6-8. (I mean, for the 6th Cset, I'm sure some people are die-hard Link fans, so change their clothes whenever he does. :p :laughing:) ... (That's actually pretty funny. :tongue: )

What that number is, I'm not sure. But I hope there are at least 5 of each! ^_^ You can populate the village like that quickly. :)

But stabbing people to make them talk. .. heh.. I wonder how many of them will actually say something other than "OUCH!" :laughing:

CJC
01-13-2004, 07:30 PM
How about this. Instead of moving walk flags, they can hit link like enemies do. Link bounces back like he just took damage, but he will have the same health as he did before he touched the person.

As for talking, I think a new B button item should be made that must be used to talk to villagers (With a new sprite of Link talking, which would show for a few seconds after he uses the item.) If an npc is in range (Tile in front of link, maybe) when Link uses the item, their string trigger will activate.

Also, to prevent the npcs from walking through each other, there would have to be some sort of rule added to the game to make them bounce off each other or walk around each other.

idontknow
01-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Dark Nation, i think that is the best explanation & idea, and its actually sort of what i was saying! The NPCs will be solid instead of acting like a damage combo, instead of going through them, and instead of bouncing off them--also, if you press the A button near them, it'd trigger they're string instead & make it so that link can't use his sword, thus he won't stab them.

CJC
01-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Moving walking flags wouldn't work. Link doesn't get pushed back when the tile under him becomes unwalkable, he simple can walk off it and can't walk back on. Unless the whole unwalkable flag were reprogrammed, that simply would not work, because unwalkable flags do not push Link off them.

As for the NPCs moving to avoid Link, although it would be cool it has some flaws. What if the Speed Boots are added to the game? Would the people run with a paniced look on their face when the player dashes towards them? While that would be incredibly funny, it probably would be too hard to do, and Link would pass through them. Quick question? Would combos (slow walk, water) affect the NPCs if they walked on them? (Of course not damage, but you know what I mean. Slow walk makes them move slow, and they can't go on water.)

Also, the Item I suggested would be mainly to prevent catastrophe in rooms with enemies and people. If someone swang their sword to hit a darknut and they hit the person, then the string would activate, Link would be frozen, and the monsters would kill him. At least with an item, the person would have to conciously switch to the talk item to start a conversation. The sprites for Link while using this item would be found in Weapons/Misc or the new Link Sprite section (When it's added)

redmage777
01-17-2004, 02:57 PM
I do think it should be the NCPs who yeild to Link, not the other way around... (ex. shoving him around like monsters do...)

How ever, for starters what ever works is fine for me, even if all they can do is stand there and waith for link to engage them in conversation (Not much differaint the the Pit warp trick results now. Just not hving to resort to pit warps is fine for me.