PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else played Star Ocean yet?

DarkDragoonX
01-06-2004, 08:19 PM
As some of you may know, DeJap released a full english patch for the classic SNES game Star Ocean on December 31st. Star Ocean: The Second Story (PSX) was the only console RPG that could match LUNAR in terms of fun, and I've been anxiously waiting for the full english Star Ocean patch for about two or three years now, since I heard development began on it.

For those who haven't played it yet, and who have no qualms about downloading a ROM, I suggest you go play this great game now.

Meanwhile, I'll be playing it again with a different party.

gameguy032
01-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Wow, the FULL patch? Thanks for the info. The "cheap" patch was fun, too, but still, this is the full thing right? I've got some downloading to do... Thanks DarkDragoon!

jman2050
01-07-2004, 11:19 AM
I've only played it and beaten it two times over... I've been waiting for that patch for a long time and that New Year's Eve when it came out... I played without stopping. Very fun game, although pathetically easy.

Now I want to finish the second one and then get the third one when its FINALLY released... tri-Ace owns Square any day of the week...

MottZilla
01-07-2004, 06:19 PM
I have to say I enjoyed SO2 more than the first. I haven't gotten very far in SO though, maybe it will get better. Not saying it's bad, just not as fun as SO2.

jman2050
01-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Well duh. The ame does get better but I have to concur that Sar Ocean 2 beats this game... there are some elements of this game that are better than the second game though, for example the story...

MottZilla
01-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Not to mention battle. ;) I like how you can move around and stuff in SO2. I've looked in options for SO, but no luck. So I just hit A ALOT in battle, and occassionally use the specials when appropriate.

DarkDragoonX
01-08-2004, 06:25 PM
If you press the Y buton, a cursor appears. Highlighting an enemy will allow you to attack it, and moving the cursor over the ground and pressing A will cause your character to move there.

But yes, it's still quite clunky compared to SO2.

Monica
01-19-2004, 08:53 PM
I hope it's ok to ask this, but how do I fix the graphics? I have the Japanese ROM, the DEJAP ips patch and the Dejap graphics Pack 4.0 all together in one folder but all I get is the blocks.

slayer6896
01-19-2004, 10:54 PM
You have to create a directory called SOCNSDD1 where your game savea are and put the graphics pack in it.

If using SNES9x, just update it as the newest one supports SDD1 decompression.

DarkDragoonX
01-20-2004, 01:53 PM
I recommend using the graphics pack even if you ARE using SNES9x. Unless your processor is in the 2ghz range, you'll still encounter slowdown without it.