PDA

View Full Version : an idea for menus

idontknow
01-03-2004, 12:28 PM
here's an idea for how to do a menu, where you have a list of and can select one and press a button to confirm it.
1. You basically wanna have a series of screens A, B, & C so you can have 3 items in the list to choose from (you can have more than 3 but 3 is fine for now). Also have duplicates of those screens called A', B', and C'. A must tile warp to A'. B to B', etc.
2. This set up uses both tile warping and sidewarps. Make it so that link is always placed in the middle of the right edge of the screen on screens A, B, and C. Also make sure that if he presses up, link will walk onto a pit, and if he walks down, onto a stair combo.
3. In A', make a stair combo will link will appear from the pit and place the blue link positioner on any edge of the screen with a conveyor combo going towards that edge. Set the tile warp here to go to screen C and the side warp to go to screen B. See how this works, if the player presses up when the first item, A, is selected, then C will be highlighted, if he presses down, B will be highlighted.
4. Repeat step 3 for B and B' so that if link is on screen B, he can press up or down to go to screen A or C. then repeat for screen C.
5. Each screen should simply be a menu with a cursor pointing to each option (A, B, or C) or with boxes surrounding different "text" (i mean drawn text from combos, not message string) and the item that is highlighted has the flashing box around it. Link should be invisible on all 6 screens (A, A', B, B', etc.)
6. Now, when an item is highlighted, link needs to warp a 3rd way, via the side warp on the original 3 screens (A, B, & C) to make it so that link wants to do the selected action. So, if A is highlighted and the player presses right, since he is on the right edge, he can warp to the area that applies to A. So for example if you have another character ask a question like "What do you want from me?" and the options are A. "Nothing" B. "Tell me about the triforce pieces" and C. "I want a magic container" Then each screen A, B, and C would have a different right sidewarp that lead to 3 different scenes depending on which one the player chooses.
7. I forgot to mention that link must, of course, be prevented from going to the left in screens A, B, & C by putting in an unwalkable combo.

Lonemind
01-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Heeeyyyy.
I had a similar idea that I worked out while trying to come up with a way to have more than two warps per screen (Or at least seem that way.) Yours is far more streamlined IDK.

idontknow
01-04-2004, 12:21 PM
uh, what do ya mean by "steamlined"?

Lonemind
01-04-2004, 01:36 PM
*gasps in astonishment* Was I being too vague. Moi? I can't believe it. (Sarcastic Aura) Sorry. *laughs* What I meant by streamlined is that it was better than my idea. My idea consisted of four screens clustered together where two sides of each screen touched two of the other screens. Then you set Link in the corners that touch each other and walk between the screens. When you find an option you like you just step away from one of the sides where a stair warp takes you to the outcome of that option.