PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with my GeForce 2

Raichu86
01-01-2004, 09:55 PM
I've been having some odd problems with my GeForce 2 card lately. They started a couple of days ago. When first turning the computer on in the morning, I'd get no video. Turning the power off and on a time or two would fix it. I figured the card needed reaseated.

When I was installing a USB 2 card, I reseated the GeForce. When I plugged the computer back in, my bios told me that the VGA card might be damaged or not installed properly.

So I reseated it again... I finally got video, but it was scrambled. Resetting the computer fixed it, but it still happens on the first time I start the computer. If it's scrambled when it tries to display a high resolution, the display just goes black. :shrug:

I've never had any problems with the GeForce before I installed Windows XP and nVidia's drivers last week. But obviously, it's not just Windows that's having a problem, as my bios griped at me, and I had scrambled graphics on all of the startup screens (memory test, etc.).

The card looks fine. The pins are clean. And I've never overclocked it. The problems didn't arise until I'd not been messing around in the case for a few days, so I'm doubting that I zapped it.

I checked nVidia's site, but they don't offer any support to end users. My computer is custom built, so it's not like I can call Dell or something. :p

Has anybody had such problems with a GeForce or other graphics card before? Anybody have any suggestions for what I should do?

I'd like to not have to get a new graphics card. But if I do, I hope I can find a Radeon with DVI, which my FPD requires.

gdorf
01-02-2004, 01:02 AM
It sounds like you've done all the right things, your card may be on its last straw. :(

If your interested, I have a couple geforce 4 mx's I can sell for cheap. I have a geforce 4 mx 420 (pci) and a geforce 4 mx 440 (agp). PM me if your interested. :)

Paradox
01-02-2004, 07:55 PM
GeForce 2? You're kidding right?
If an old card like that one starts to have problems, it's better in the long run to get a better card rather than try to fix your old one.

If you're looking for a Radeon card with DVI, I'd recommend the 9600XT.

DarkDragoonX
01-03-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Raichu86
I've been having some odd problems with my GeForce 2 card lately.

Well, just off hand, I'd have to say that the problem is that you only have a GeForce 2. In all seriousness, I have no clue what could be going on, but it sounds like your card, for whatever reason, is toast.

Flash Man
01-03-2004, 03:30 AM
Four things I would suggest. First off try removing the USB 2 card. You said you had put it in right before you got the problems. Possibly reseating the video card after you remove the USB 2 card would be a good idea.

If that does not work I would reset the bios to defaults and if the video card is PCI then try seating it in another PCI slot. I do not remember from what book or person, although I remember that Video Cards are supposed to be as close to the CPU as possible. Hence why the AGP port is the top port on all boards.

If that doesn't work and you have access to another computer and monitor I would try the GeForce 2 in the other computer. If it still screws up before Windows your card is as good as dead. nVidia should take back and replace your video card depending upon if they made it. After the TNT2 nVidia did not make a lot of their own video cards. They had 3rd party companies like ASUS, Gainward and Leadtek make the cards while they made the chip. If you figure out what brand your card is you could goto the makers site and then look and see if they will replace it.

Finally if your card is indeed dead I would suggest you buy a new one. I would recommend you buy from ATi, although feel free to go for nVidia. From ATi's branchs of cards I would suggest you pick up something from the 9X00 series. If you are tight for cash the 9200 is your best bet, it costs ~$70. Mid ranged cash would be the 9600 Pro or the 9600XT, it ranges from $100-$200. Going all out would be for the 9800XT. They cost about $450-$500.

Over on the alternate universe at nVidia I would recommend their FX series. Their tight end card is the GeForce FX 5200, it runs about the same amount as the 9200. It looks like the mid ranged price class for the FX series is the 5600XT, and the 5700 Ultra, about the same as the 9600 Series. Top of the line from nVidia is their GeForce FX 5950 Ultra which runs $450-$550.

Fatty Lumpkin
01-03-2004, 10:32 PM
If your USB card is higher than your video card, that could be bad, like Flash Man said. If not, your PC's IRQs could be all messed up, which could screw up your computer. Either that or your card's crappin' out.

Raichu86
01-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Flash Man
Four things I would suggest. First off try removing the USB 2 card. You said you had put it in right before you got the problems. Possibly reseating the video card after you remove the USB 2 card would be a good idea.
Actually, I'd been having problems with no video at all long before I messed around in my case. After reseating it twice, I started having scrambled video instead of no video.

Also, my GeForce 2 is at the top, as it's AGP. Below it in PCI, I have a NIC, my sound card, and my USB 2 card.

If that doesn't work and you have access to another computer and monitor I would try the GeForce 2 in the other computer. If it still screws up before Windows your card is as good as dead.
I'll probably try that. We have lots of computers. :laughing:

From ATi's branchs of cards I would suggest you pick up something from the 9X00 series. If you are tight for cash the 9200 is your best bet, it costs ~$70.
My father found a 9200 for only $59. Seems like a great deal.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Slider Zero
01-04-2004, 05:04 AM
I have a GeForce 2 MX 400 AGP....and XP has been griping with it for ages. It wouldn't work properly until I got the latest stuff from Nvidia (not the crap that windows update trys to give you, it's majorly outdated)...and then my CnC Generals screwed up. As for your problem....that card is on it's last legs. I would recognize it, as i recently had to trash my beloved S3 trio card (I know it's old, but it was reliable, and could roll with the best of 'em on my kickass P200 :cool: ) and use my equally ancient Viper card instead (and THAT thing uses the ultra-ancient RIVA chipset. not RIVA II, RIVA. *sigh*) NEways... you will want to look into replacements. Even XP doesn't suck THAT bad...

Slider Zero
01-04-2004, 06:57 AM
.......and this is why I hate Netzero. You could at least TRY to update the damned page!