PDA

View Full Version : Strange Google happenings

gameguy032
12-31-2003, 06:52 PM
I was doing a Google image search when I thought it would be fun to do it in Japanese. Dont' ask why, I don't know. So when I went back to change it, the top had some interesting language choices such as "Elmer Fudd," "Hacker," and "Bork, Bork, Bork!" When I tried some out, I found more and more choices including "Dootch," "Klingon," "Afrikaan," and "Pig Latin." Each choice kept bringing more. But I can't find these choices when I'm currently in English except for a couple of them. Anybody else see these? Or have I gone crazy? Try them for yourself.

Do an image search. Doesn't matter what. Go to Preferenes at the top, then some of the "new" choices are there. For this, let's just try "Bork, bork, bork!" then hit Save preferences. Now go to "Prefferences" at the top of the search page again. Try changing your language again. They're all bork-inized. It's really odd to see... The safest way to return to true English is to go back to google.com and choose "Google in English."

gdorf
12-31-2003, 07:00 PM
This is old, old news. It was cool at first though (kinda).

gameguy032
12-31-2003, 07:02 PM
Not like I can do a search for old topics....

Guess I never thought about somebody posting it long enough ago to be considered "old news." Oh well, something to read for the newbies and the ones who missed it before.

~cydlet~
12-31-2003, 07:07 PM
no, you're not crazy... Google has all sorts of language option.

from the main google.com page, to the right of where you type your search, in itty-bitty type, are three options:

--advanced search
--preferences
--language tools

click on preferences and you can set your preferred language. and yes, Klingon, Elmer Fudd, Hacker, and Bork bork bork are all listed, in addition to a few dozen other languages.

I'd like to see a distinction between British English, and American English, as well as Southern English and other regional dialects (new york/new jersey, California, Michigan eh, Minnesota, etc...)

:D

inori
01-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Google drove me nuts when I first got my net connection here in Japan. It presumed that because I had a Japanese IP, I wanted to search in Japanese. And I didn't have my cookies set right for it to remember to search in English instead. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, that's all fixed now. :kawaii:

J.J. Maxx
01-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Hmmm interesting...

Well, I never saw this before so I guess it's new to me. ;)

AlexMax
01-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by J.J. Maxx
Hmmm interesting...

Well, I never saw this before so I guess it's new to me. ;)

Same here.

Stell, makes you wonder why they did it in the first place. Boredom, perhaps?

Raichu86
01-01-2004, 10:00 PM
This isn't exactly related, but I noticed that other languages haven't been updated properly. For example, an image search in Hax0r has "(B37A)" in the top blue bar. Also, I'm pretty sure most languages don't have a News tab.