PDA

View Full Version : if you were to modify an existing game...

idontknow
12-30-2003, 02:17 PM
what game would you change &how? for example, i thought about mario kart: double dash!! i love the game but if i were to change it, i'd have the following:
1. the triple green shells would be a regular item & the special item for the koopas would always be the triple red shells
2. there'd be 6 unlockable characters: toad, toadette, boo, pete peranha, king bo-bomb, and shy-guy
3. there'd be a 4th battle mode: Coin Chaos--you collect coins that are randomly placed around the arena & if you get hit w/ an item, you lose some of your coins & others can take 'em--who ever has the most at the end of the game wins (1, 3, or 5 minutes long)
4. in shine thief, whoever has the shine, can't pick up or use items, making it harder
5. i'd make the block city battle arena like the block city from mario kart 64 (i loved that one!) and have 8 total battle stages (4 to start & 4 to earn--all of 'em would be bigger than the current ones now)
6. after setting the battle mode, you could toggle every battle item on & off so choose what possible items you can get (like in SSBM)
7. there'd be new items:
-- plunder chest: randomly steals items from any player
--oil spill: like banana but you spin a lil longer, making it take you longer to regain control
--tripple bo-bomb: boo & king bo-bomb's special, gives ya 3 bo-bombs
--warp pipe: petey paranha & shy-guy's special; randomly trade places w/ a player in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place
--bumper: place it on the track, you don't crash but you get bumped a ways & it also bumps around the track when people hit it
--balloons: yes, they'd be an item only in vs modes, come in sets of 1 or 3--when you use these, they appear on the back of your kart like the balloon battle & they make it so that instead of doing damage to your kart, shells & similar items would pop the balloons instead, giving you some protection (still vulnerable to items like stars, lightening, etc.)
8. you could have 8 total karts playing in a battle mode so you can choose computer players as well
9. mirror mode, once unlocked, would be an extra option instead of replacing the engine size, so you could have 50cc mirror, 100c mirror, and 150cc mirror
10. possibly a special "bo-bomb cup" that you can unlock; can be played w/ 1-4 human players & then 4-7 computer characters; you play all 4 battle games in a random order at random stages & earn pts based on how you finish to try & earn the bo-bomb cup; you can select your engine size for speed & computer difficulty
11. make the "star" item not so rare--i hardly ever get this item!
12. not really an item, but after getting an item block, you might get a "!" in your item box--this means you have an item but don't know what it is until you use it!!!
13. the spiked shell would no longer fly, making it possible to hit lots of other people along its path to the 1st place person (it'd still explode though)

wouldn't these be great additions to the game?!:laughing:

deathbyhokie
12-30-2003, 02:32 PM
a friend and i actually had a discussion about changing freelancer. it had so much wasted potential. some of the thingss we talked about were
~more contraband goods. have different sectors have different contraband, rather than a galaxywide standard.
~better customization system. they way they had it set up you had X weapon slots, one thruster slot, and one shield slot(i think). i would've favored a system with two kinds of slots, hard slots and soft slots. the hard slots would be places where you could mount weapons, sensor suites, thrusters, anything that needs access to the outside of a ship. the soft spots would be internal, such as shields, cargo, cargo shielding(i'll get to that in a minute), and ammo for missle weapons.
~cargo shielding and signature changes. in the game, if you try to run contrband past any sort of government ship, they'll scan it and bust you. however, if they had included the ability to shield cargo, it would've made it more interesting. give the shield a rating. the higher the rating, the harder it is to sucessfully scan your cargo. of course your proximity to the scanning ship, as well as the relative size difference would have an effect on the chance of sucess too. also the ability to change your ships signature, similiar to getting a car spraypainted in GTA, would've been useful.
~hidden weapons and scanning. allow the players to be able to scan a ship, and see what sort of weaponry it has. and allow players the ability to burn an extra hard slot to make a piece of weaponry "hidden", so it can't be picked up by any but the most powerful sensor suite.
~finally, one other thing i would've liked to have seen would be the ability to get a fleet of ships. not just one ship, but up to, say 5. and the ability to hire people to fly them for you. so you get 4 freighters, and one fighter, and start doing trading runs. or whatever suits your fancy.
~oh, and the ability to pull people out of warp with a mine or something. so you can actually start pirating and having fun

idontknow
12-30-2003, 04:12 PM
i wish i could make video games :(

vegeta1215
12-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Other than the small battle arenas, I've been pretty happy with Mario Kart: DD. Any more items or track hazards would make it even more of a frantic mess, and would be unnecessary. I think there are enough characters, but I question having King Boo and Petey Pirhana. Like you mentioned, a Shy-guy would've been pretty cool.

Even though I loved The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, here's what I would've changed:
- Have a smaller ocean overworld! Instead of 7x7, a 6x6 overworld would've been better.
- At least one more "town" island like Windfall.
- One or two more dungeons (the dungeons in WW were great - esp the last two where you have a partner, but I wanted more!)
- An option to change the difficulty of the game on a per file basis - for instance hard mode would make you take more damage from enemies and make your sword do less damage. This would be so easy to implement and would make a lot of people happy who complain about the challenge. I hope they consider something like this for the Wind Waker sequel.

Cloral
12-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Quest64 was a crappy game. I'd change:
Story - actually give it one!
Battle - instead of the player attacking once, and then one of the enemies attacking, and then the player again, I'd make it so that each player/enemy would get to go each round. Also, there'd be more than 1 main character - perhaps 3.
Money - add money to the game, with which you could buy items and weapons and armor.
Spells - balance them out a bit. Make it so that avalanche isn't the end-all of spells, and all the others wouldn't suck so hard.

The game did have some good points. I liked running around in the 3d overworld. The battle system, despite its flaws, was a good idea, and could've been really good had they done what I'm suggesting. Since the spells each affect the field in different ways, my suggestions would've opened the possability for some really interesting strategy.

Master Ghaleon
12-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Madden 2004 - Have a fan from the stands run on the field to add a lil bit more excitement from the crowd :)

WWE Here comes the pain - More of a story mode, and make story mode 1-4 players. It sucks when ya cant play with ur friends in story mode. Make it that you can challenge for belts out of season mode so you and your friend can be tag team champions.

ShadowTiger
12-30-2003, 06:06 PM
SSBM: Add ALL the Zelda Characters. :sb:

Actually, I'm not .. really joking much at all. :shrug:

Maybe make a COMPLETELY side-scrolling Zelda Game. .. damn...

Cloral
12-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
Maybe make a COMPLETELY side-scrolling Zelda Game. .. damn...

They have. They were for the CD-i. They were called Link and the Faces of Evil, and Zelda and the Wand of Gamelon.

zed_cool
12-30-2003, 06:50 PM
1. I would change the most in Wind Waker! The graphics are ok, the story ok, but the game is to damn short! YOU SHALL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPLETE A ZELDA GAME WITH 11 Heart! Thats just wrong! I would make all the dungeons harder and longer and made Ganon look like he should.. He MUST look like a PIG! Not some kind of demon! Grr... Seeing him like that just makes me mad! :angry:

2. Star Fox Adventures.. the same miss there! Cleared it in TWO DAYS ( not extreme gaming, about 5 hours per day )! That is to short for a game!

Well, I think thats all of the games..

Pablo
12-30-2003, 11:36 PM
I'd give more cars to Need For Speed Underground. Especially American cars. Who says you can't put a body kit on a Mustang? Who says a Camaro can't go toe-to-toe with a Civic?

I'd make T.H.U.G., Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Perfect Dark, and Super Smash Brothers Melee longer and larger (additional characters, new levels, etc. etc.)

Oh, and I'd include a level maker for Prince of Persia. Damn, that'd rock...

Ian
12-31-2003, 12:21 AM
MM6: This was basically a turning point for bosses (some of the latter ones in the MMX games were ok, but these just sucked.) I'd just change the bosses to the same kind as the last 5 MM games. Maybe have a RockMan (Oh wait.......:kawaii: ) How about Motorman, or LightMan? The animal-based bosses just completly ruined this game.

Master Ghaleon
12-31-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by zed_cool
1. I would change the most in Wind Waker! The graphics are ok, the story ok, but the game is to damn short! YOU SHALL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPLETE A ZELDA GAME WITH 11 Heart! Thats just wrong! I would make all the dungeons harder and longer and made Ganon look like he should.. He MUST look like a PIG! Not some kind of demon! Grr... Seeing him like that just makes me mad! :angry:

2. Star Fox Adventures.. the same miss there! Cleared it in TWO DAYS ( not extreme gaming, about 5 hours per day )! That is to short for a game!

Well, I think thats all of the games..

I hate games that you can bring it home nad beat it within 2 days of playing it. In my opinon, Alot of games could be longer and better if they would take their time with games instead of releasing a game too soon. Take the time and make a great game then put out 3 shitty games

*b*
12-31-2003, 01:29 AM
SSBM:

-Add special moves for each charachter. like, Marth would call a dragon and it'd attack people like Charizard, only with 2x the damage.

-Online support for up to 8 players.

-Charachter creator: take parts from the other charachters and create your own.

-Charachter Expansion Packs: you'd be able to get new charachters from games that have newly released, like Issac/Felix, or Zero from MMZ

-Metal Mode

-Make Giga Bowzer playable, but tone him down a bit, and make him just a TEENY bit smaller.

-King Dedede and Meta Knight

-More items from the games. I mean, only 2 items from Zelda? should have more, like the Megaton Hammer, which would be like a powerup for Mario's Hammer

-Arena Mode. players would fight in a round arena instead of a linear field.

-More music, mostly origional themes.

Kairyu
12-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Perfect Dark. Improve framerate, add map editor (which doesn't suck), allow people to turn off the dizziness feature, and.... hmm.... Oh! Of course! Give us more Skedar Slayers! Those are fun.

Dracula
12-31-2003, 12:35 PM
I'd want to fiddle with Goldeneye...

- improve the framerate
- improve enemy AI
- change the noise the rocket launcher makes (P-CHSSSHHHWAAA! I hate that...)
- a bigger boat level.
- more multiplayer options (I'd like to choose ANY gun I want)
- more multiplayer levels (I'm fine with the levels that are there already, but I'd love to see a smaller version of Syberia... or St. Petersburg Streets as a multiplayer level... not to mention the tank... :drool: )
- a better ending to the Golden Gun level ("mwahahaha" just doesn't cut it for me...)
- I want Nick-Nack as a multiplayer character! (dee plane boss! Dee Plane!)

Cloral
12-31-2003, 02:32 PM
Thought of another one - Lufia 2. Two main points I would fix:

Story - This game has no real story. Most of the time you go to the next town simply because you can, and then you have to solve whatever random problem there is before you can move on.
Balance - The enemies don't really get harder as the game goes on. In particular, the hardest battle in the entire game is about 1/3 of the way in - that stupid Tarantula boss. It's actually one of the hardest battles in any RPG I've ever played. But after that, all the other bosses are really easy.

Unfortunately, as you can see, those 2 points are the most important points to any RPG. For it to be a successful game, those 2 points have to be done well. So all in all, Lufia 2 was a failure.

AlexMax
12-31-2003, 10:18 PM
All non-online Xbox games whose PS2 equivilents have online play: Xbox Live support.

THIS MEANS YOU, ELECTRONIC FUCKING ARTS