PDA

View Full Version : mario kart: double dash!! frustration

idontknow
12-29-2003, 02:29 PM
how frustrating is the All Cup tour in mario kart: double dash!!? i think its extremely difficult in 150cc, dispite my beating all other cups in 150cc. I'll be in first place for like the 1st 2 laps of a race & then suddenly be bombarded w/ shells & shit, especially right before i'm about to cross the finish line, which is the worst! how 'bout u?

also, another question about mk:dd!!, how do u "attack" other people in order to steal an item, without a star or mushroom, in single-player mode? it looks as if this is only possible w/ 2 people playing co-op.

gameguy032
12-29-2003, 02:34 PM
First, the difficulty... It's really easy. Or, it was for me. Just hold off till the end, you might score big with the last few races and pull ahead. That's why I like it. You either win big or come from behind and sneak a victory.

I might be wrong, but you can only steal the other driver's/gunner's/item-er's items by hitting them with a star or mushroom in single-player. And it's just as hard with a co-op buddy trying to punch them. Of course, if you're always way in the lead like me (or have a really good item like the Giant Koopa shell to blast people out of the way) then it doesn't matter too much.

Cloral
12-29-2003, 02:47 PM
What I hate is when you're way in the lead, and then someone nails you with a blue shell. Is there any way to defend against those?

gameguy032
12-29-2003, 02:51 PM
I've avoided seven red shells in one race before (Rainbow Road is really good at throwing them off with the sudden drops and wavy roads), but the only thing I can think of is drop back to 2nd (if they're really close) or just hope you're far enough ahead that it doesn't affect you. It was made to work as a handicap for the trailing drivers since Nintendo is nice enough to allow players in 8th place to get star after star after star to catch up.

vegeta1215
12-29-2003, 02:55 PM
The only way I could beat the 150CC cups was to have my brother play in another kart. That extra human player took place of a computer opponent that would otherwise destroy me. Plus my brother is way better at Mario Kart than me. Once we get good enough, we're going to try to beat 150CC cups playing co-op. We can do it for 100CC cups, but not 150CC cups yet.

btw, what characters do you use? I use Mario and Daisy. Mario's fireball special is pretty handy in whatever place you're in and Daisy's has to be the best special in the entire game imo. For Daisy you get a heart, and while the heart powerup is on, any weapon that hits you, or any weapon you run into on the track (like a banana peel) gets picked up to be used by Daisy!!! You can pick up other people's specials this way, like if you have the heart powerup on and a Bowser Shell hits you, guess who now has the Bowser Shell? :D The only way to lose Daisy's special (other than its time wearing out) is if a Lightning bolt stikes or you fall off a cliff. I'm not sure if it can pick up a Blue Spiny shell though.

gameguy032
12-29-2003, 03:06 PM
When I started, I played Paratroopa and Mario with the Red Fire. Later, I began using the Green Fire, then moved to the Heart Coach. I stuck with that through pretty much half the game and even all of Extra All-Cup Tour because it was pretty well balanced. After I unlocked the [secret car], I played that for a while, but it's too heavy for me so now I'm playing as Bowser Jr. and Paratroopa and using the Toad Cart.

Dart Zaidyer
12-29-2003, 04:03 PM
A rather uncanny combination given to me by the "random choice" feature won me all sorts of cups, including the All Cup tour:
Paratroopa and Diddy in Koopa Troopa's kart.
It's also a matter of knowing your tracks and knowing just where to use your weapons. Enemy karts are still very susceptible to following the same general paths in this game, so Diddy's giant bananas will work especially well.

Yoshiman
12-29-2003, 05:06 PM
I use Paratroopa and Bowser in Donkey Kong's Car (forgot the name).

Whenever I'm in the lead, I keep any pickups I get. Usually green shells and bannanas plus an occasional fake item box. Whenever I see the red shell mark come up, I throw a bannana or something to stop it.

As for the Winged Shells, I haven't found any way to avoid them. All I do is try to take someone with me in the blast. Or, you can always step on the brakes and let someone else zoom ahead of you and let them take your damage.:evil:

I try to use trickery to avoid damage. Sometimes it works, other times, I'm just unlucky.

Mak-X
12-29-2003, 06:45 PM
I've only been playing Mario Kart with Mario and Luigi, mainly in the Green Fire for the extra top speed it has over the Red Fire. I just kept playing 150 and All Cup Tour until I got better and better at the tracks. You can put some distance once you learn to power slide and get the mini-boost on straightaways and other parts of the track that don't involve turning. Just knowing the tracks very well and all their turns really helps, not getting stopped by the obstacles in the track stops you from slowing down.

Cloral
12-29-2003, 07:42 PM
I usually use Mario and Yoshi. I've liked Yoshi ever since MK64, but maybe I should try the others some more...
Strangely enough, I found the Flower cup to be way easier than the mushroom in 150cc. Beat it my first try. Probably because the races are more technically demanding, so if you're a good driver, that is more important than using your items well. Now its on to the star cup.

MottZilla
12-30-2003, 02:23 AM
I found All Cup tour to be REALLY easy. I mean you can get such a large lead that on Rainbow Road you can totally bomb, even before that lol.

Cloral
12-30-2003, 02:36 AM
I just opened up all cup tour, and it just hit me that it means 16 consecutive races. I am not looking forward to that. It must take about an hour to play through it, right?

gameguy032
12-30-2003, 02:52 AM
100cc All-Tour Cup goes on for about 34 minutes. I just played it yesterday. So it's an average of 30-40 minutes from 50cc-Extra. The All-Tour in Extra is my favorite thing to do. I got so used to it I couldn't do regular modes anymore... But yeah, just win the first dozen races and you can pretty much bomb the last ones and still get first.

KJAZZ
01-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Cloral
What I hate is when you're way in the lead, and then someone nails you with a blue shell. Is there any way to defend against those?

I think that the only way you can avoid one is if you're in a place it can't get to. The only place that comes to mind is the Yoshi Course, if you take the 2nd shortcut (the tunnel), I don't think you can get hit there.

My brother managed to avoid one one time, I'm not quite sure how, but he did it. Once. ;P

I play with some combination of Diddy, Paratroopa, or..

01010100011011110110000101100100011001010111010001 11010001100101

(Note: Use this site (http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php) to reveal name of character. Meh, some people might not know about this character and I don't want to get yelled at for spoiling something for someone. ;P)

It gives me a good combination, The giant banana peels are more helpful than you might think, triple shells are always nice, and the secret characters special is good for catching up if I happen to fall behind. ;P

*b*
01-02-2004, 02:47 AM
I prefer one 2 lightweights (why is Yoshi a midweight :cry:) in the Paratroopa Kart. it has great speed and it can fly over hill really well

Rijuhn
01-03-2004, 12:45 AM
I'm so glad that I rented Mario Kart: Double Dash last week. I had a blast playing 2 player with my bro and sis, and we got golden cups in all but 100cc and 150cc for the All Cup Tour (I had to take it back to Blockbuster).

Right now I'm enjoying T.H.U.G. which is equally as great.