PDA

View Full Version : The miracle of untold proportions....

Slider Zero
12-24-2003, 08:18 AM
......My comp actually WORKS NOW. Talk about an early christmas gift, ne?
....despite the fact that a 56k netzero connection seems to have become the new AOL (If you don't know what i'm talking about, feel lucky)

Thus the reason for the abnormal lack of my posting, followed by a 6 AM post (like I would actually get up that early to get downtown.....HA!!)

inori
12-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Uh... okay, nifty. What was wrong with it?

Fiyerstorm
12-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Ech, Net Zero. You poor frog. During the time between I had gotten AOL disconnected and I was waiting to get broadband, I had to use NetZero. It was quite sinister, lol.

Slider Zero
12-25-2003, 10:53 AM
lessee....the board was shot, the replacement board was crap, and it took until now for someone to realize that maybe we just needed a major upgrade.

of course, major being described as going from a PIII 650 to an AMD Athlon XP 2600 (which actually runs at about 1950...stupid AMD math). Eiether way, it works now.

Ich
12-25-2003, 11:04 PM
2600 means the equivalent power of an Intel processor. AMD processes information more efficiently. The 2600 means they've constructed a "better" chip that does the same with less, but they need to label it as its equivalent performance so their "1.95 GHz" machine doesn't sell worse than an equivalent "2.6 GHz machine."

Math? More like marketing.

vegeta1215
12-26-2003, 02:39 PM
I used to use Netzero back when it was actually free. Next we started to pay for their $10 a month service, which wasn't bad, but then all of a sudden my dad got a call from them saying they couldn't provide us with service anymore (even though we were paying for it!). I read that this happened to a lot of people, and Netzero got sued by some people. We got Verizon DSL after that have been using it ever since.