PDA

View Full Version : NPC dialogue

DarkFlameWolf
12-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Okay, I hope I can explain this well.......
There is only ONE town in my game and NO OTHER. There are several people you can talk to as well. Now, after each boss you defeat and get the triforce, I want them to say something different. So, I know Boss Flags factor in here somehow. Now the outside tile warps will stay the same. I'd rather not make 8+ different overworlds for each damn time I want it to link to a new location where they say something new. So with just one overworld and just one tilewarp leading to an inside house map. How can I get these NPCs to say something different every time you revisit the island after beating a boss? Please be specific and go step by step if possible. :reading:

idontknow
12-24-2003, 12:09 AM
actually, i think you do have to have a different dmap for each boss flag..like i would guess that you could use cloral's technique for multiwarping so that you could have link warp from one screen to another identical screen when he steps in front of a person to a screen w/ the text & also have him warp to an identical screen when secret flags are activated (using boss flags & trigger enemies) so that different dialogues can be seen--ooh! i just got an idea for upcoming versions! (*goes to the suggestions forums*)

DarkFlameWolf
12-24-2003, 02:28 AM
please state in english and step by step. I couldn't follow much of that at all.

Petoe
12-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Ok. Just ignore IDK. Here's a perfect explanation for everyone by StarFox: NPC Dialogue (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=4709&st=0&entry59442)

DarkFlameWolf
12-24-2003, 09:10 AM
sorta helped me, sorta didn't. read my reply there.

idontknow
12-24-2003, 10:46 AM
well, instead of making the outside entrance screen's change via boss flags, you could make the inside of the building use the same sort of idea--you could have a house that is 2 screens high & one screen wide--make the 2 duplicates for each dungeon, have the lower one side warp to the outside exit & have pit warps on each duplicate that activate via the boss flags & have the pits instantly warp link to an identical screen on a different dmap so that when link walks to the screen above, a different message plays for each triforce he has..here's a diagram (sorta):

0 pieces:
[ ]message screen
[A>B]entrance screen (side warp to outside, insta-warp to screen B)

1 piece:
[ ]message screen
[B>C]entrance screen (side warp to outside, insta-warp to screen C)

2 pieces:
[ ]message screen
[C>D]entrance screen (side warp to outside, insta-warp to screen D)

The First duplicate we could call room A, which warps to room B, the lower room in the 2nd set when link has 1 piece. Then B goes to C, C to D, and so on. Each dmap would be a level #0-9. The last dmap of course would have no boss flag or secret flags triggered on it (ooh! i almost forgot, in each lower room, be sure to set the boss enemy flag, trigger enemy, the enemies->secrets, and the no secret sounds screen flags. Note that the outside entrance will always lead to the first set (which should be level #1) This should work perfectly! i doubt you'll need other enemies inside houses, you could have the town be as big or as little as you want, it doesn't effect the warping inside the house. You could also make a second set of a different house with another character & set of strings just as easily.

DarkFlameWolf
12-24-2003, 11:51 AM
I think I see a problem with that logic. I agree that having multiple 'warp' rooms to the REAL dialogue room would work, but the player must step ONTO the pit warps for it to work. If a pit warp opens up under a player, at least in the current beta, he won't warp until he moves, so basically, he could possibly be halfway into the room by the time he reaches the final warp leading to the final dialogue sequence after level 8. Ihope that made sense.

EDIT: Mainly because, I have a character who gives you a new item every time you complete a dungeon. So by the time I'm into the 6th or 7th warp, I'm right on top of the item when it finally warps to the dialogue sequence.

idontknow
12-24-2003, 12:33 PM
then make it so that there are obstacles in the room & it takes longer steps for link to reach the item--or move the item or whatever--i still don't see how link could possibly reach the above room before he should warp..you could do something like this:

|........"blah blah blah"..........|
|................NPC.................|
|................item.................|Top room
|........................................|
|........................................|
|................[..]...................|

|................[..]....................|
|.................[].....................|
|.............{||||||}................|Bottom Room (Entrance)
|.................[].....................|
|.........................................|
|................[..]....................|
****Sidewarp to town****

|=edge of the room
[..]=doorway
...=floor (turn into pit combos when boss flag goes off)
{|||||}=table or obstacle
[]=chair or another obstacle

copy these rooms & repeat for each dmap
note that when he beats 8 bosses, he should, unoticeably, pass by 9 different identical entrances (all the flags would cover the floor in the bottom room only..no secret flags or boss flags need to go in the top room, only the sprite, string, and item All ya reallly need to do is make sure you have a good # of steps before link can reach the top door on the bottom screen

DarkFlameWolf
12-24-2003, 12:53 PM
oh I gotcha, you mean a double roomed house. I was thinking more along the lines of a single room house. This makes things a LOT easier! :D

idontknow
12-24-2003, 01:21 PM
haha! yes! it doesn't involve double warping or anything too complicated--no enemies, no bugs, no compication!