PDA

View Full Version : Holiday traditions, if any?

Mitsukara
12-23-2003, 03:37 AM
Okay, I know this is kind of a general question, but hopefully this post will sort of make sense. Basically, what sort of holidays do you and/or your family celebrate, especially around this time of year? I know that many Americans (and unless I'm mistaken, Europeans and Japanese people) celebrate christmas, but many don't; but in the cases of the ones who don't, there are also sometimes other holidays they celebrate, such as Hannukah (<mispelled, sorry) and in Australia I understand they have something known as the "Summer Solstice", and that's probably among other things. Some people celebrate due to religious beliefs, and others just for the sake of having a holiday and having (hopefully) fun. At the same time it can be a very negative thing for some people because of all the elaborate planning some try to do, or because of family disagreements, or any number of things.

The question I'm trying to ask is, what do you do, if anything? My family celebrates Christmas, both for the sake of having a holiday and because they're Christian and are celebrating the birth of Christ. Personally I'm a little mixed on religion and don't know exactly what I believe, if anything, so I can't say I really celebrate it truly because of that, but I still enjoy the time spent with family (when they're not being stressful or arguing or something, which they usually aren't) and enjoy many of the things which have become associated with Christmas over time (I love Christmas music and decorations, even if they aren't neccesary; I don't know why, I just enjoy them). Although there are monetary concerns, and I don't like there to be pressure on anyone about such things, it is also nice to get gifts for people sometimes, if you know something they would like to have (incidentally, although I don't like to be selfish, it can also be really nice to recieve gifts from people, although I feel like I shouldn't expect such things and try to make sure that I properly tell anyone who gets me something that I'm thankful for it). I will likely continue to celebrate Christmas in this manner even after I have moved out.

As for the kind of stuff we do specifically... somewhere (usually) towards the beginning of December, we put up the various Christmas decorations we've gathered over time (wallhangings, kitchen towels, that kind of thing; some of them are quite old and have kind of a history to them. We have this one thing to hang on the wall that everyone calls the "Christmas Taco" because it looks, well... like a taco full of holly, basically... and that sort of thing). We also put the tree up (we usually use artificial trees, keeping them a number of years; it's much easier to deal with, and less expensive and messy, although I understand that many people think of them as untraditional and cheap; I've kind of gotten used to them, though, because we've always had them. In a sense it makes you get kind of a sentimental value, because you've had the same tree for years... if that makes any sense), and at some point get together (my brother and sisters have moved out and started families of their own already) and decorate it with the ridiculous number of ornaments we've collected over the years. Some of them are just store-bought ornaments, some of them are old ornaments that have special sentimental value to people (my father has this little thing with a fan-like thing inside of it, that's sort of carousel-shaped with clear plastic around it; it's kind of hard to describe... he's had it for several years, though, since he was younger than I am now, I believe... and then there's this thing I made when I was about 2 or 3, where I basically took a piece of unused round plastic canvas and tied a shoelace through it to make a hanger; the canvas was broken in one place, actually, so I tied the shoelace in and out around it to hold it together. The intersting thing is that no one was watching me or had told me anything about doing it until after I had; apparently I just picked it up and made it on my own. My mother has always remembered that). And then we've got a bunch of weird ones that relatives made or that we ended up taking home from when my mother worked at craft stores; a set of canvas animals with uneccesarily bright sequens on them, or a little red football helmet with a football with holly on it hanging from it by a piece of fishing string (did I mention several of the ones they brought home were because no one else bought or wanted them? >.<), or the Cossack/Jimi Hendrix snowman (it's a little snowman made out of styrofoam balls and yarn, but it has this big black fro-ish thing on it's head. It's very odd-looking). Anyway, then we buy gifts for each other; sometimes each person buys something for everyone else, but there have been years when not everyone could afford to do that, so it's considered perfectly acceptable to only buy for some of the family (although no one goes around being selective out of spite or anything like that). When we buy the gifts, we usually wrap them whenever we get around to it and put them under the tree (we don't wait for christmas eve or anything, we only do that for stocking stuff and "Santa" presents from Mom and Dad). Then we all get together and open them on Christmas morning. It's kind of nice.

It's not really a tradition or anything, but we also usually, as available or interested, listen to Christmas music (we have this stack of vinyl records that we've had for a long time that we usually listen to; we add to it occasionally with newer music we've bought, but mostly we just listen to the records. I have this Burl Ives tape that I bought last year that I enjoy listening to, but I'm pretty sure everyone else despises it, hehe) and watch, well... for lack of better-sounding terms, Christmas movies. Occasionally I'll get out our DVD of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (the Rankin/Bass claymation special; I've loved that movie ever since I was really little, although there were a few years when I didn't see it) and watch it, or if the version of A Christmas Carol called "Scrooge" starring Alistar Sims (<-definately mispelled) comes on TV we'll watch that, or that kind of thing. There are some very good stories that have been written that have to do with Christmas, but some of the movies have also come to be kind of a sentimental thing to some of us... such as me with Rudolph.

Anyway, I don't know, that might sound kind of flat to others... I enjoy it, and that's how my family does it. Mostly it's about being together and having fun, the traditions and material items/practices related to it are of interest but not really the most important part. To the rest of the family it's also about celebrating the birth of Christ, and I can tell they often think about it that way.

Sorry if that was a really long and boring post. But anyway, it would be interesting to hear about what other people do... so if anyone feels like talking about it or describing how you personally like to do things, feel free to do so. And I hope whatever you do or have done, that you had a good time and that everything went well for you. :)

Master Ghaleon
12-23-2003, 10:35 AM
My family celebrates Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years.

Thanksgiving - My mom makes dinner at her house. We all go there to stuff our faces and then draw names for Xmas. Then I'll get people that live around there to play some football til the sun goes down,

Xmas - Go over my grandmothers for dinner. The famous "Heart attack on the plate" is usually eatten (Contains alot of real greasy and cheesy Items) Pig out til ya about to pop, open the presents up, eat some more either dessert or more reg food. Drop a redwood in the toliet and watch it smack against the sides while it clogges the toliet up. I have not seen a plunger there so you hafta pray either no one goes into the bathroom next or they forget that your the last one in there. I usually get sent home with nice bit of food, which I'll usually eat up that night or within 3 days.

New Years - Actually this one, I would goto partys and celebrate this. This year I might jsut stay home

Kirby of Doom
12-23-2003, 02:48 PM
My parents are doing Hannukah this year. Hannukah actual isn't a big holiday, but it's because of Christmas that it's made more of a big deal here in America. Not that it's an unimportant holiday, it's just not the big holiday like some people think.

Anyway, it will be the usual family coming over and doing normal familly gathering stuff. I like gifts, but I feel like I'm getting past the gift getting part. Besides, my wishlist, while kind of expensive, is small and not urgent. :shrug:

gdorf
12-23-2003, 03:02 PM
We open presents on Christmas Eve, and goto the christmas eve service. Other than that most of our traditions were lost on the move to our new house a few years ago. Funny how that happens.

Gerudo
12-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Thanksgiving... dinner at gramma's... sorta like MG said, trading names for Xmas...

Xmas, but only for the 'being with family' part (although not all the gruesome details that MG had are included :sick: )... not for the gifts or the 'honor Christ' and whatnot...

also, New Year's is something virtually everyone celebrates, i think... im actually NOT going to have to work it this year :D PARTY!

Ich
12-23-2003, 04:08 PM
We play the Dictionary Game (some of you might know it as Balderdash). Most of my family have Ph. D's in something and degrees and all of that fun stuff. Playing Balderdas with them is really fun because you have only plausible answers, and a lot of them. It's a real blast, even though it sounds kind of geeky.

ShadowTiger
12-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Morrowind Crashes. I get sick. Then people feel sorry for me.

Then Hanukah. :p

Then Morrowind Crashes Again. Jolly good fun.

lord_jamitossi
12-23-2003, 05:19 PM
yeah, we celebrate Christmas here, but i'm a protestant, and i'm like, the only one in my class, so when i say that i don't go to Midnight Mass, everyone's like "Woah! :eyebrow: Are you allowed to celebrate Christmas?"

Master Ghaleon
12-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Gerudo
Xmas, but only for the 'being with family' part (although not all the gruesome details that MG had are included :sick: )... not for the gifts or the 'honor Christ' and whatnot...

At least I didnt go into fine detail of some years that happened ;) I wont even go there hehe

Zeo
12-25-2003, 07:44 AM
ah, yes.

The only REAL tradition we have, is NO ONE opens a present before Chirstmas. EVER. And we ALL do it at the same time. Never was a problem either.

moocow
12-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanksgiving, my mom makes dinner. Then the Sunday after, we go to my Grandma Loudermilks :p

It used to be that on Christmas Eve we would go tomy Grandma Loudermilk's house, eat pizza, and open presents (one at a time, youngest to oldest), but now she does this thing the weekend before Christmas where everyone stays in a huge cabin at Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills. I never go, I don't like her. :p

The Sunday before Christmas, (every year for as long as I can remember) we go to my Grandma and Papaw Link's house, eat, socialize, give gifts to Gramma and Papaw (they can't buy for all of us anymore, Papaw had a lot of problems with his heart almost 2 years ago and had quadruple bypass surgery, so they've got a lot of medical bills to pay... I'm not complaining though, just happy to see them) then come home.

Then on Christmas Eve night, mom and dad let my sister and I open one present. It's usually just something small, like a bottle of lotion, or something. This year, I got a raspberry scented candle, and my sister got some kind of glittery body spray :rolleyes:

Then, on Christmas morning, we usually all roll out of bed around noon, 'cept today, my sister and I both got up at 8. Anyway, mom usually make cinnamon rolls, then we open presents. Then we play with our stuff all day. And my boyfriend comes over, and I play with him :naughty:

I dunno what I'm doing for New Year's Eve this year. Definitely getting drunk, just dunno where yet.

Raichu86
12-25-2003, 08:04 PM
We "celebrate" Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. We've got traditions, but I think we've abandoned them.

Thanksgiving - Used to go to Natalia (3 hours away) to be with family. We don't do that anymore due to family issues. This year, we went to Cheddar's (casual cafe) on the day after Thanksgiving, as it's closed on holidays.

Christmas - It's the same as Thanksgiving in both what we used to do and what we do now.

New Years - Our tradition would be to eat black eyed peas. I really don't get the point of eating black eyed peas, but we always seem to work them in.

I think my mother would be happy to celebrate Valentines and Mother's Day. Those holidays are stupid.

There's other holidays that we observe, such as Easter, but we never have any special events on those days.