PDA

View Full Version : Suggest an online multi-player game to me.

DarkPanther
12-22-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm looking for a fairly simple game that's not too complicated, but to play online. Preferably a FPS, but anything else will be cool too.

I'd like to play with one of my buddies, but he's not too into gaming yet so I want to start him off with something simple (even if it's a classic older game).

I'd like to get Rise of the Triad to work, but don't know how to network it anymore. Played that back in the 28.8 dial-up days.

Anyhow, any good ideas?

Questwizard88
12-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Some Ideas
GTA 1 or 2 (may only be local network, but i could be wrong)
Unreal Tournament (might be too complicated)
Duke Nukem 3d (doesnt work right in windows xp)
Quake III Arena

Pablo
12-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Need for Speed Underground is a fun, simplistic driver...damn, can I plug this game much more? :laughing:

deathbyhokie
12-22-2003, 03:24 PM
if you're looking for a FPS, counterstrike might not be a bad idea. hell, if it can amuse thousand of college students for hours it can't be but so bad, right?

cyberkiller6276
12-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Continuum a.k.a Subspace. There are so many freakin' people who play this. Simplistic is the word. Though the learning curve is not a short one. It takes a while to get up to snuff to the good players. The greatest thing about this game though is that it's completely free.

http://www.subspacedownloads.com/

Thunderbird
12-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Need for Speed Underground requires a fair investment of time offline in order to have a chance of winning online.

As for Rise of the Triad, it supports IPX networking, correct? There are a few programs that will allow these games to network over the Internet. The one I can recommend is Kali, at www.kali.net. The only problem with it is it carries a $20 fee, and it will limit you to 15 minutes a session until you pay this fee (unlimited sessions however).

AlexMax
12-22-2003, 08:43 PM
If you want simple, but addictive, mix the following ingredients...

* DOOM ][ or DOOM Collectors Edition
* ZDaemon

And viola...simple gaming goodness.

That's the short version.

The long version is that if you get DOOM2 or Doom CE, run the DOS version of DOOM 2 once with no sound or music (it works under Win2k for me) and take note of the bar that appears at the top of the screen. If it's grey (it says 1.9), you're all set, if it's red (1.666 or 1.7a) you need to update to 1.9 to make sure there are no consistancy errors (ack!). If your DOOM2.WAD file isn't 14,604,584 bytes long, you don't have 1.9. (Actually, I think that DOOM95 is based off DOS DOOM 1.9, so if you have that I think you're golden, just check the filesize to make sure) You should be able to find some place that has the jewel case version of DOOM2 in their bargin bin or something.

The second part is ZDaemon. ZDaemon is a version of ZDOOM, a source port of Doom that has a lot more features than the origional doom including higher resolutions and a tilda console like Quake does. You can get it from http://www.zdaemon.org and the current version even downloads new levels as you connect to servers, a major plus. Just be sure to bind the keys to something resembling Half-Life, enable mouselook and autorun and give him a crosshair, otherwise he won't have a prayer. Also, if he gets pissed off at people using the BFG, look for the BFG FAQ which will show him how to BFG dodge (the only remotely complex part of the game and even that is simple enough once you know how)

But yeah, DOOM is the ultimate DM game. The weapons are balanced like Quake 2, the action is fast pacecd like Quake 1 and there aren't a whole lot of 'tricks' like rocket jumping and shit to worry about from those of higher skill (unlike a whole lot of other FPS games DOOM just has BFG dodging). I played plenty of serial cable doom back in the day and it certainly stands the test of time.