PDA

View Full Version : Portable MP3 players?

Kendachi
12-17-2003, 11:45 PM
I've decided I'm interested in getting something to listen to my mp3's while on the go. Has anyone else owned one? Please, share any good/bad experiences if you would.

I've been on ThinkGeek and found two there that I like, this one being a standard "copy your mp3's to a ram drive with a player":

Creative MuVo NX MP3 Player (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/mp3/647d/)

And this one that allows you to burn a slew of mp3's on to a CD-R and then play that like a CD player, play standard audio CDs, and has an FM tuner also:

iRock! Bling CD/MP3 Player (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/mp3/6356/)

- Kendachi

Pablo
12-18-2003, 12:01 AM
I had an RCA Lyra that soured me on MP3 players forever. I hated the thing.

And if I were you, I'd go with the MP3/CD/radio player. Less expensive, and you can fit more MP3s on a CD than you can on 256 megs of internal memory, obviously.

linkofzelda1
12-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Are you serious? Isn't the obvious answer the iPod? ;)

Seriously, if you can afford it, it's the best thing you could ever buy.

Kendachi
12-18-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by linkofzelda1
Are you serious? Isn't the obvious answer the iPod? ;)

Seriously, if you can afford it, it's the best thing you could ever buy.

I like the iPods, but the 10gb one starts at about $300! :eek:

So far the CD player one is winning out, for the exact reason Pablo stated. Of course, one could just cheap out and buy a new normal portable CD player and just convert mp3's and burn them back out as a regular album... but I'm a lazy fuck and I think I'd rather just have 150 mp3's to play with one one disc.

- Kendachi

Kryten
12-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Go for an MP3 CD player, those are the best. It's wonderful being able to to listen to 10 hours of high-quality (none of that 128kbps "sorta near-CD quality" shit) MP3's from a single CD. If the player is any good, it will also have a large enough buffer to be able to spin down during playback and extend the battery life waaay longer.
Not to mention the fact that you can burn all your stuff on a handful of 30¢ CD's in a matter of minutes instead of waiting to upload one group of songs at a time (unless you're wealthy enough to own two memory cards :eek:).

EDIT:
Oh yah, I suppose iPods are nice if you have that kind of money to spend :shrug:.

I personally find ThinkGeek to be way overpriced. You can get a high quality name-brand player for less. Unless you're all about the "Bling" factor, in which case ThinkGeek is all over that shiznit.

Drunken Tiger
12-18-2003, 02:15 AM
Check out the Iriver Site.. www.iriver.com

I think the IMP range is what you want.. I bought the IMP350 about a year ago.. No complaints!! Really really thin.. well it was the thinnest of its kind back then.. But yeah.. Have a look.. Upgradable Firmware, Remote, plays MP3s, Wmas... etc.. :)

Kendachi
12-18-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Drunken Tiger
Check out the Iriver Site.. www.iriver.com

I think the IMP range is what you want..

Hey, thanks DT. They have some really nice stuff on there, 1gb Flash Storage player! <droooool>

I will probably go with one of the IMPs, the SlimX ones are very bling, but equally expensive... <sigh>

One question for you, though, does it come with any kind of "clip" that would allow me to carry it on say my belt? Maybe on its carrying case? I'm going to be using whatever device I do decide to buy while rolling on my bicycle.

- Kendachi

Drunken Tiger
12-18-2003, 09:24 AM
Comes in a pouch but nothing you can carry on with you when ur on a bike... Im sure you can get one of those pouches for sports... But yeah.. the antiskip on the IMP350 is really good.. not sure about the others though.. ;)

Jer1400
12-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
I had an RCA Lyra that soured me on MP3 players forever. I hated the thing.

I have an RCA Lyra and I think it's great. I picked it up for only $80 and it works fine, is loud, memory can be a bit of a problem, though. It has an internal 64 MB, and a slot for a flash memory card if you want. My problem was I never got the flash memory. :D

I guess it's a personal taste thing.

Pablo
12-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Kendachi
[BOne question for you, though, does it come with any kind of "clip" that would allow me to carry it on say my belt? Maybe on its carrying case? I'm going to be using whatever device I do decide to buy while rolling on my bicycle.[/B]
If I were you, I'd save the $20-$30 a pouch would cost you and stuff it in a pocket. Not really worth it to pick up a pouch, IMO...

goKi
12-18-2003, 06:15 PM
if i were in the market for one, i would choose an iPod, for the reason that it has a hige disk inside. If you choose to get a cheaper player, be sure that it has a memory expansion slot built in. There is nothing worse than spending a few hundred dollars to find that you cant even fit all your favourite music onto it. If i were to buy a digital player, i would have at least 512MB.

Kryten
12-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
If I were you, I'd save the $20-$30 a pouch would cost you and stuff it in a pocket. Not really worth it to pick up a pouch, IMO...

Except it's kinda hard to fit a CD player (which it appears he's going with) in your pocket...

Raichu86
12-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I use a NOMAD Jukebox 2 10 GB. It's by no means tiny, but it's no bigger than a typical CD player. I love it. It holds all of my music, and has excellent sound quality and features. The music library that allows you to play by album, artist, and genre is great.

I'd love to have a Jukebox Zen, as they're much cuter in terms of design. But they're too expensive for me right now. :shrug: The Jukebox 2 is rated by CNet as the best bargain hard drive MP3 player.

I recommend checking out NOMAD World (http://www.nomadworld.com) to see what all Creative offers. But be sure to shop around to see what other companies offer, of course. :)

Originally posted by goKi
if i were in the market for one, i would choose an iPod, for the reason that it has a hige disk inside.
You can get a NOMAD Jukebox Zen Xtra with a 60 GB hard drive for around $100 less than a 40 GB iPod costs. ;)

Pablo
12-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Kryten
Except it's kinda hard to fit a CD player (which it appears he's going with) in your pocket...
I never had a problem with it :shrug:

Drunken Tiger
12-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Even if you did manage to get it into your pocket... It would be a bitch to go biking with it.. I would imagine it would be a bit uncomfortable to ride with.. I personally dont like carrying the cd-player around, unless i have a bag.. Or one of my friends have a bag.. :p