PDA

View Full Version : some advice for a newbie a drawing sprites?

Axel
12-17-2003, 04:19 PM
I've been ripping and playing with sprites for a while, made a few character sets. So I figured I'd start actually drawind sprites, maybe make a full tileset. Well I finished what I'm using for Link, but I'm a bit uncertain where to go from here.

ShadowTiger
12-17-2003, 04:36 PM
A bit of advice that I have stuck in my head after looking around in a particularly jaw-dropping quest: Try to watch those little icons in the upper right corner that show you how the tile/sprite will look. It's GREAT for seeing proportions. Never underestimate this.

Always have at least 3 shades / tints of a certain color on your palatte at all times. It's rather difficult to draw sprites with only 2, (although it can be done. *Cough*Newfirst*Cough*) Heh. And have 4 colors for terrain things, like water and land and trees. Water needs 4. But that's only color.

I'll see what else I can pull up. Axel, ... glad you're brave enough to try your hand at making tiles. ;) Never give up. It's a very rewarding field. :thumbsup:

Rose
01-06-2004, 03:39 PM
best to use 3 colors of the same (Example) - Red would be 1 color then shade it a bit then it would be the 2nd then shade it more then that'll be the 3rd which really makes the tiles look good. You should try it with some other colors and just do your best..oh yeah it takes time to make tiles so if its your first time don't feel bad if they look crappy cause thats what they will look like unless you have had your share of practice on it for awhile like me..for instance i can do almost anything now in custom which for instance i've done 2 tiled chars and made them future like and made awsome custom bosses ...so all im saying is practice makes almost to perfect so good luck :D