PDA

View Full Version : Multiple floors warping problem

Xyvol
12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
I haven't used ZC for a while, and I'm just starting to get back into it. I'm trying to figure out how to fix a minor annoyance in my first dungeon. (This is on build 163, for refrence) I've made a dungeon that has three floors, one dmap for each floor. A tile warp is used to move between floors. I'm using the LttP tileset and using the doorway-stairs. I have the warp set as an entrance/exit and the green square set in front of the stairwell. Link appears to come from the stairs when he enters the dmap. All is good. The problem is when the player dies and continues. He starts at the green square and automaticly moves up into the stairwell, past the tile warp. Then link has to move down to get out, but that triggers the warp and link takes the stairs down to the lower level, then has to use the stairs again to get back to the floor he should have just started on. Now here's the thing, when I change the warp type to instant warp w/blackout, the warp works (Link faces the wrong way though) but when you die and continue it starts at a blank screen that I have no idea where it is.

So does anyone have a suggestion or am I stuck with how it is?

Freedom
12-16-2003, 01:29 PM
put the green square right on the edge of the screen

Xyvol
12-16-2003, 07:55 PM
The stairwell tiles are made to go on the edge of the screen, like a door. But they are also made for the top wall, and there's that "can't walk that high" problem. I suppose I could flip the tiles around and put then on other walls, but it looks kind of funky. I'm mostly wondering why the continue situation acts diffrently when I choose a different warp type.

Verbatim
12-18-2003, 12:58 PM
If I'm reading you right, your stairwell is at the top of the screen...in that case, your green square should be behind it, not in front of it. If you put it at the very edge of the screen, Link should walk down, out of the door, rather than up into it.

Don't forget, Link warps to the location with the blue square, and restarts after dieing at the location of the green square...if it's working fine when you're warping via an entrance-exit warp, but not when you're re-starting, maybe what you need to do is put the green square where your blue square is.

Of course, there's also the other solution...you can make Link start at the main entrance every time, by having Link start out at a fake entrance that pit-warps him back to the real main entrance. That means instead of always using entrance/exit warps to change floors, you never use entrance/exit warps to change floors, and you put fake entrances at the same absolute coordinates (that is, map coordinates, not dmap coordinates) as the real entrance on the maps your other floors are on.

If you have more than one floor on the same map as your main level, you also have to put some pitwarps in the real entrance room, which warp Link to that room...otherwise there can be serious bugs.

Xyvol
12-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Verbatim
If I'm reading you right, your stairwell is at the top of the screen...in that case, your green square should be behind it, not in front of it. If you put it at the very edge of the screen, Link should walk down, out of the door, rather than up into it.

Don't forget, Link warps to the location with the blue square, and restarts after dieing at the location of the green square...if it's working fine when you're warping via an entrance-exit warp, but not when you're re-starting, maybe what you need to do is put the green square where your blue square is.

Both squares are in the same place. The refrence manual I have says the green square is used when Link start enters this dmap or contunies if he dies. I tried it with my stair in place of the north door. If I put the squares on the top edge, it looks good when he warps. When he continues, Link walks down through the door, but as soon as he touches the warp tile he is warped downstairs. If I move the square half a tile down, link walks up and into the room above. I think i may go with forcing the player to start at the beginning of the dungeon, but I don't get your explanation on it.

EDIT: Each floor has a diffrent level number, because I want a diffrent game map for each floor. So link will have one map already before he enters the dungeon, but has to find the maps for the other floors on the way. Maybe this is part of the problem?
I'm also getting a whole new set of problems when I use insta-warps.