PDA

View Full Version : Stolen!

goKi
12-14-2003, 07:31 AM
On Thursday evening, i finally recieved my new computer. I put it all together, installed my DVD-ROM and CDRW drives, formatted the hard drive, etc. Though when it came to installing Windows, it just wouldnt install! I looked up the MS knowledge base for the particular error, and found out that the store had been screwing around with my BIOS on a new board, so, assuming that the motherboard was used, i told them to replace it.
So with that, they took my computer for all of Friday, and i was called at work at close. They told me that they had got windows to install, and that everything was in working order, apart from my DVD-ROM, which was not working at all. They didn't charge me for anything, so i didnt really mind that my DVD wasnt working properly, since it is alot cheaper than a new mainboard.
So on Saturday morning, i picked up my computer, and set it up at work, installed XP over the top of Win98 that they tested on the machine, then i decided to test the DVD drive to see what exactly was going on. I inserted a disk, and just as they told me, it didnt work. Since my black case has black flip down faces at the front, i decided to take the front off and check out the drive. The drive in there was NOT MINE! The bastards at the store had attempted to steal my DVD-ROM, and replace it with a faulty one, hoping that i wouldnt notice, and buy a second drive off them!
I called them up, and spoke to the manager of the store, and quoted the exact model numbers of the faulty drive, and the drive that i had purchased from another store. Fearing legal trouble i guess, he offered to replace the drive. So back to the store i went for the 7th time in the last few days, and he offers me a drive that retails for much cheaper than my actual drive. Outraged, i demanded that i have my drive back, or a replacement of the exact model. I guess ill find out what happens when i go out tomorrow, but im reporting these thieving bastards whether i get what i want or not.
Has anyone else had this happen to them before? i hear of computer retailers ripping consumers off, but i never knew of it around here until yesterday.

And for those who are interested, here are the specs of my new machine.

AMD Athlon XP2600+
on ASUS A7N8X-X Mainboard
1024GB DDR333 RAM
Seagate 120GB Hard Drive with 8MB Cache
Iomega 52x24x52 CDRW Drive
Aopen DVD1648 16x48 DVD-ROM (eventally, for now, im stuck with a different drive)
128MB ASUS 9520T GeForce FX5200 Video
Creative USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX (still waiting on this, unfortunately)
17" Pure flat Monitor

Also, i cant seem to get my processor to run at 2600MHz, if anyone can help me, send me a private message, or speak to me in chat.

Jemsee
12-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Yes I have had trouble with PC builders/dealers.
When my MB fried I took it in and he said the MB and PCU were both bad.
I suprised him when I did not have him replace it and did it myself.
I know for a fact the MB is bad but I think the PCU is not.
Unfortuantly I have no way to check it untill I get another compatable board.
Also when I picked up the PC he tryed to rip off the heat sink and fan. I had to ask about it and he fessed up and gave it back.
He would not have had I not asked.
Don't go there anymore, I do it myself and get help online.

As for your CPU not running at top speed, I had the same trouble and had to change the front side bus setting.
My current MB lets me change it in the bios as a setting, just had to ckick the setting I wanted in setup. Some you have to change a jumper.

Ich
12-14-2003, 10:33 AM
My brother ordered all of his parts from newegg.com and I think the people there are either honest enough, or figure that anyone who would buy parts from them would know what the hell they were doing. You're not going to get ripped off by newegg. I've only heard good things about them from everyone I know online and in real life.

Flash Man
12-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by goKi
Has anyone else had this happen to them before? i hear of computer retailers ripping consumers off, but i never knew of it around here until yesterday.
No, If anything I would be the person in place for ripping people off. Although I would rather talk with the client and ask them if they were interested in selling the part, although usually I would not need to because I can get any part usually that I need.

AMD Athlon XP2600+
on ASUS A7N8X-X Mainboard
1024GB DDR333 RAM
Seagate 120GB Hard Drive with 8MB Cache
Iomega 52x24x52 CDRW Drive
Aopen DVD1648 16x48 DVD-ROM (eventally, for now, im stuck with a different drive)
128MB ASUS 9520T GeForce FX5200 Video
Creative USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX (still waiting on this, unfortunately)
17" Pure flat Monitor
I have two Athlon XPs which are 2600+ and I have an ASUS A7V8X, I wanted to get the nForce board but of course at the time I didn't have $75 more to get it. 1GB of DDR333 isn't bad, although depending upon if you have two 512s or not would be better. If you have two 512s then you could run them in dual channel if they can. Also most 1GB sticks are actually more expensive than two 512s. The USB Audigy I would not have gotten because its basically the same as the PCI + Bay which is cheaper. The hard drive isn't bad, but Seagate makes quality drives. Although I would have gotten a Western Digital. I have tried out the video card, and it played Unreal Tournament 2003 pretty good at low resolution, but it cannot top Radeons.

Also, i cant seem to get my processor to run at 2600MHz, if anyone can help me, send me a private message, or speak to me in chat.
AMD Athlon XPs do not run at their quoted speeds. You have a 2600+. It is named 2600+ to compare with a Pentium 4 2.6GHz. The actual speed is 166*12.5 giving you ~2075MHz. Even though the speed is actually different it still runs just as fast. If you do not have at least 2075MHz that means the computer store didn't even set your FSB correctly. You just need to go in to the BIOS and set it to 166.

gdorf
12-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I've heard a lot of stories about stores playing those kind of tricks.

Good for you for checking the s/n's :)

inori
12-15-2003, 09:24 AM
This is why I don't give my computer to stores. If it breaks, I'll fix it myself.

theplustwo
12-15-2003, 10:13 AM
MaxumumPC Magazine has a section called "The Watchdog" where readers write in with situations such as the one you described, and then they contact the companies and try to get things set right for the customer, so yes, I have heard of things like this happening, and it's precisely why you should stick to more trustworthy stores or just do your upgrading yourself. :shrug:

If you want to e-mail MaximumPC I believe the address is [email protected]