PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 2: Further proof that god is dead.

DarkDragoonX
12-14-2003, 04:16 AM
Well, I have recently made the most miserable purchase I will ever make in my entire life: I bought Deus Ex 2. I paid fifty dollars for what must be the biggest letdown ever.

Where to begin? Well, first of all, I'll go with the thing most Deus Esx fans will notice first: the lack of a skill point system, and all I can ask is... why? Why take out the single most important feature that made the first game so great?

Then of course there are the graphics. They're pretty, of course, but they're pretty in the wrong way. Damn near everything in DX2 is either reflective, glossy, or chrome. In the original, society was on the verge of collapse, and everything was rusted, scarred, and just plain dirty. It really got the feel of the game across. The graphics in the sequel make you feel like you're playing through an enormous Mitsubishi commercial.

The combat has been dumbed down, as well. It used to be that you could have your right arm shot to hell, losing a lot of accuracy, or you could get both of your legs turned into chowder, forcing you to crawl around. And of course, headshots were lethal.

Not anymore.

In DX2, you can spend half a clip blasting someone's head apart, and get the same amount of damage as you would by shooting them in their pinky toe.

Music? Don't get me started. It's okay, but it doesn't convey the mood like the tunes in the original did.

The conspiracies have gone out of whack, too. In Deus Ex, ALL of the conspiracies are based on actual conspiracy theories. In DX2, they're starting to just make stuff up.

Ion Storm has single handedly taken away EVERY SINGLE ELEMENT that made the original so incredible. I don't know why. Maybe it's a company full of sadists, because they sure have raped me, charging $50 for the world's shittiest sequel.

EDIT: I almost forgot: "unified ammo." All guns use the SAME KIND OF AMMUNITION. I don't even have to explain how fucking stupid THAT is.

ShadowTiger
12-14-2003, 04:52 PM
F*ck.. Why did they have to take away everything that is wholesome and good in the Universe. :shakeno: Yeah, I remember Deux Ex. I got literally stuck at a Brick wall in a dead end. But damn.. that whole game was phenominal. I still want to play that game over, and over, and over.....

It's a real shame that Ion Storm had to let loose such a monstrosity upon yonder Earth...

Thunderbird
12-14-2003, 05:45 PM
I downloaded a demo a week or two ago. Waste of bandwidth and hard drive space, IMO.

zables
12-15-2003, 10:43 PM
man, please tell me this is a bad bad dream that im going to wake up from....
i mean, the first game kicked such and incredible ammount of ass its not even funny, and then we have this?

Damn you Ion Storm! DAMN YOU!!!!!!

sorry rat bastards... i was going to buy that game, but after reading this, i might be hardcore reconsidering
but i do have one question
how do you think it would run on an amd 2500 xp
768 megs of ram 128meg geforce fx 5200 vid card?
i mean halo runs pretty poorly, and im wondering if i could expect the same from this?

DarkDragoonX
12-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by zables
...i mean halo runs pretty poorly, and im wondering if i could expect the same from this?

Yes, you can, unfortunately.

linkofzelda1
12-17-2003, 10:41 AM
I'll try the demo. The first one kicked ass, but is it really as bad as you say it is?

ShadowTiger
12-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Well, for one thing, if he said it, then it's probably true. :shrug: Well, for him anyway. Your experience naturally won't be his experience.

I just wonder. Does it still have the same level of interactivity which the first had? I would hate it if it turned into a Doom 3 competitor. :disgust:

DarkPanther
12-18-2003, 09:45 AM
You know.... I saw a commercial on TV for this game the other day and it looked like crap. It seriously looked like a PS One first person shooter, and those were so rough looking there were only a handful of them. So I thought to myself, "hmm... must be N-Gage or something". ...it wasn't.

I never played through the first one though, so you've got my curiousity level up and maybe I'll just play through that one. :)

DarkDragoonX
12-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by DarkPanther
I never played through the first one though, so you've got my curiousity level up and maybe I'll just play through that one. :)

Well, you can buy the original these days for about ten bucks. And The first Deus Ex is one of the best games ever made.