PDA

View Full Version : Broke Ass NES

Cloral
12-13-2003, 06:28 PM
I picked up a couple used games from the store today. One was Castlevania II for the NES. I brought them home to test, but as usual, I'm having a hard time getting my NES to respond. This isn't new with this game, it does this all the time. I have to try for at least 15 minutes to get the game in just right before it will work. Has anyone else had a similar problem and know of a fix? Or should I start looking on eBay for a replacement?

DarkDragoonX
12-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Hmm. Most of the time, when you have problems with the NES detecting games like that, it's because either:

A. The spring loading mechanism on your NES is worn out, or:

B. The connecter is worn out.

I found a page that will explain how to fix your connector:
http://www.classicgaming.com/features/articles/nesrepair/

As for fixing the spring loader, well, I've never had that problem, myself, so I couldn't tell you, but just fixing the connetors solves 90% of all NES cart detection problems.

Mr. 207
12-14-2003, 12:04 AM
If you can track down one of the old Game Genies for NES, using that (with or without codes) usually can help. Back when I had my NES, that was how I fixed the problem of games not loading.

vegeta1215
12-14-2003, 02:26 AM
Like Mr. 207 said, getting a NES Game Genie will work because the pins make a much better connection. But, the best way to solve the problem is to replace the connector.

I did this a while back. (you can actually find a thread I made about it in GGD if you dig deep) I bought the 72 pin connector from MCM electronics online, and followed the install guide here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dsullo/nes.htm

The guy who hosts that install guide also sells refurbished NES's with new connectors and provides other services/sales.

btw, I wouldn't recommend repairing your NES like that Classic Gaming link says. (by bending the pins)

Master Ghaleon
12-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Mr. 207
If you can track down one of the old Game Genies for NES, using that (with or without codes) usually can help. Back when I had my NES, that was how I fixed the problem of games not loading.

:D The cheap ways of fixing things quick hehe. I did that for the longest time before i just went out and brought one when I had a NES

MottZilla
12-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Or you could get out the wires and solder to make your own connector. ;) But buying one from MCM isn't a bad idea and it's cheap.

TedHead
12-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Buying a Game Genie is the very best thing to do. Go look at a pawn shop, Cash Converters if you're close to one, or a Microplay. If all else fails, to the internet!

Before I got mine, I wouldn't push my game in all the way at the start. I would keep the end of the cartridge as close to the front of my NES as I could so I could still push it down, and often it would scrape against the front as I pushed it down or make a kind of snapping noise, but it never did harm and it tended to make the game work more often.

There was a big discussion about this a long time ago... It was several pages long. With no search, you'd probably have to go back a few dozen pages to find it though...