PDA

View Full Version : Final ZC Version

JayeM
12-12-2003, 06:00 PM
This is something I posted elsewhere:

Yes, the Quest Archive is closed. I had a sudden total loss of interest in Zelda Classic. After some serious thought I've finally figured out why I lost interest. It's all the confusion with betas and alphas. ZC players, not the people involved in development and questmaking, can't keep track of what version to play which quest with. Questmakers want to use the features in the new releases. What Zelda Classic needs is a solid final release (which will of course play all previously made quests), final meaning that there will be no more improvements, betas, etc. This would bring stability to the community. If you want a game that will do more or different things, then make it another game.

When and if this ever happens, I will start making quests again, and put a quest archive back up.

I think it's about time to call ZC complete, preferably version 2.0. It already does far more that could be done with a Zelda 1 clone, and has almost infinite possibilities for the creative questmaker. Just get it stable and release it.

Then, DN, you could start on a game that you could feel free to put your name on. Maybe a more generic fantasy game that wouldn't have the copyright conflicts that ZC does.

Comments?

Tygore
12-12-2003, 06:37 PM
While I agree there have been far too many public beta/alphas and have caused mass confusion, I don't think it should necessarily end. I think that after the next release, assuming that DN wants to still work on ZC, we should go back to the way it was back before I became a tester: the commoners get zilcho. Maybe occasional updates to let them know what's going on. But they only get final releases.

Blonde799
12-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Tygore
While I agree there have been far too many public beta/alphas and have caused mass confusion, I don't think it should necessarily end.
Me neither. After 2.0, I think ZC should go the way of RPG Maker, and include more technical stuff like variables, global events, and whatnot, but not go overboard to the point where that kind of knowledge is required to make a simple game. The advanced user would then have almost infinite possiblities in how their game works, and wouldn't be too limited to the ZC engine, while other people who just want to create a quest similar to Zelda games of old, can do so without worry of being infinitely confused.

JayeM
12-13-2003, 03:52 AM
I agree that a new RPG Maker would be cool, I just don't think it should be called Zelda Classic. ZC set out to be a Zelda 1 clone. A lot of questmakers, including me, don't want to get involved in something so complicated. And there's already a large fan-base for ZC quests.

ZC was more or less abandoned by PM, who probably considered it finished. Dark Nation seems to be an excellent programmer...why shouldn't he be making a name for himself instead of PM. And there are also the copyright issues.

I like the added features and flexibility of ZC, I just think it's time to make the break.

idontknow
12-13-2003, 10:04 AM
actually, dispite all the suggested features that might be reallly nice, i also agree that perhaps zc should be "finalized". But what does "finishing" off zc really mean & what would it take to do so? well, in my opinion, it would first mean implementing everything in zquest that is unused, such as Farore's Wind, Nayru's Love, the last drawing tool, etc...either implement all of those, take them all out completely, or implement some & take out all the rest--in other words, don't leave anything unimplemented in zquest. Secondly, it would mean completly getting rid of all bugs. Finally, finish making zc available for other mediums (such as linux or whatever) and finish up redoing the new zc look for windows. These tasks in themselves can be a pain, because you need a bunch of testers to see that everything works--so, should it be decided that zc is completely done with at 2.0, it may take at least another month or two, or three to completely finish it. However, i think that by that time, it will be as good as it needs to.
<And thats my two cents ;)

Nick
12-13-2003, 02:32 PM
I don't really think it should be finished just yet.

The development on it has been what has kept me interested in ZC for so long. That sounds silly, but it just is for some reason. :shrug:

It will eventually have to be called quits, but I think that should be done once it's possible to add in stuff with... uh... more complex stuff.

What I would like to see though... is a new stable version that has a very low amount of bugs. I wouldn't care if it was a beta or not, but 182 and 183 are just too unstable to be fitting public betas. Afterwards, we might want to chill out on public betas for awhile. :shrug:

JayeM
12-13-2003, 03:17 PM
but 182 and 183 are just too unstable to be fitting public betas. Agreed, Nick. I haven't done any serious quest work with anything beyond 165.

I also agree with everything idontknow said. All menu items should either be implemented or removed. I would also appreciate a windowed ZQ large enough to work with...I still work with DOS because I just can't see that small window.

DarkFlameWolf
12-13-2003, 05:32 PM
personally, just wrap it up where it is now, take out anything that can't be fitted in, (like the new menu and those empty Farore's Wind and Nayru's Love slots, when will they ever be programmed?!) and clear out any bugs and then release it as a final public release. No demos or betas. A full public release. Then move onto something better. There is only so much you can do with ZC before it STOPS becoming ZC. This is where its gonna have to stop or it will no longer be Zelda anymore.

Jigglysaint
12-13-2003, 06:00 PM
The other thing to consider is all the problems and stigmas attached to ZC as well. Many of the staff conflicts have revolved around people who made their start as a ZC forum mod. Think of a few people and where they are today?

ZC was good, and still is, but because of the limiting code that PM made, there's only so much one can do.

I do want to see a new Zelda type game maker, but not like Open Zelda and it's high-end computer requirements. Remember that what made Zelda Classic so good was it's user-friendliness to most people. I know it's true you could make a better game maker if you include better featues like 3d animation, and making editors and quests take up multiple files and directories, but I would rather see a simple yet power engine that ZC had, but done to such a way that it would be easier to code in new concepts and alter the way the game could be played. It would be cool to see a Zelda series game that can clone zelda 1, 3, and 4 and the oracles series in one powerful engine, without difficulty. Some of you might know the new SM advance game with e-reader cards? Apparently it has all the items and sprites and stuff from all 4 of the first games. If there was a Zelda type editor with such a concept, then adding the rocs feather to Zelda 3 wouldn't be hard, and mixing and matching items, and new item creation wouldn't be so hard.

I know we want to avoid lawsuits, and that Zelda wouldn't really take us in the place that would be most copy-right friendly, but you cna't deny that the Zelda series. It would also be cool to see some of the games use code formats inspired from the actual rom or methods from the ASM code or somthing.

BTW, Zelda 4, Oracle of Seasons/Ages = pwnd by me. Making a zelda 4 clone would be good because it's hell to edito the Oracle games, and nobody's going to try Nephi any time soon(it's dos).

*b*
12-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Nick
I don't really think it should be finished just yet.

The development on it has been what has kept me interested in ZC for so long. That sounds silly, but it just is for some reason. :shrug:

it dosen't sound silly! I stay with ZC just to see what's next. and to finish my games/improve my tilemking skills/ect... but waiting for the new features and fixes to come out, that's one of the biggest reasons I'm here :shrug:

and, if you don't get my feeling on this from that statement, I think ZC should continue. or at least have the source available for other people to continue with their own ideas