PDA

View Full Version : Vibrant Overworlds and Dungeons? How?!

DarkAvenger
12-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Hey everyone. I've been doing some work on my quest lately and I just don't think my overworlds and dungeons are very colorful or well drawn. How do you guys do it? Any tips or screenies that may renew my mind?

Also, when making a title screen, what do you usually like to see on/in it? Right now, all my title screen has is the main title.(well drawn by DFW)

ShadowTiger
12-12-2003, 12:59 PM
For one thing, scatter land in random places. Make little "islands" of green in a massive sea of black, and connect them with varying shapes. If there's only a small path between green masses, make that a cliff area, and make the small green the path, no matter what it is.

The moral is, so long as you know WHAT LAND YOU'RE WORKING WITH, .. and.. what you'll put there, (Which MAY be even more important. ;) ) you should be fine.

Cloral
12-12-2003, 03:33 PM
What graphic pack are you using?

DarkAvenger
12-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the tip BH4. I usually start with all my ground first then add the others later. Maybe I should work backkwards? :shrug:

Cloral- I'm using Pure V2 (Yea, I know, people don't like it, but whatever, it's a good pack) I've just added about 2-3 hundred combos and over 80ish sprite tiles.

Petoe
12-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by DarkAvenger
Cloral- I'm using Pure V2 (Yea, I know, people don't like it, but whatever, it's a good pack
Well, I don't think people dislike the Pureset. The problem is that it's just too overused and too many bad looking pure shots have been seen already. But the Pureset is a really good set, and if used well, people surely will like your graphics. ;)

And yeah, maybe you should work backwards. Add the trees/walls etc. first, then work on the ground.

Cloral
12-13-2003, 01:44 AM
Concentrate on playability first. Figure out how you want to force the player to proceed and what sorts of encounters you want to face the player with. Once that works, then worry about appearance. Playability has to come first. If you get that right, I think most players will look past a slightly bland looking overworld or whatever.