PDA

View Full Version : Hatians protest Vice City

Paradox
12-11-2003, 06:53 PM
LOL WTF

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=568&e=7&u=/nm/20031211/bs_nm/life_game_haitians_dc_2

Eckels
12-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Anyone who protests a video game because they're offended by it, makes me just want to harm or kill them more.

Ich
12-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Eckels
Anyone who protests a video game because they're offended by it, makes me just want to harm or kill them more.

Tru dat.

The best thing to do when something offends you is ask yourself this: "Can I afford to donate heavily and publicly to the campaign of a United States Senator this year? Can I get an interest group to censor this offensive material, even though it's not against the law?"

Dracula
12-11-2003, 09:08 PM
And their point being is... GTA:VC urges gamers to kill Haitians? Ah, just like how Castlevania urges me to kill every single jumping midget that humps me to death... :eyebrow:

Pablo
12-11-2003, 10:21 PM
I can see tomorrow's headlines...

Haitians protest Grand Theft Auto: Vice City! No one gives a shit!

Page 2: Hermaphrodites and the Parakeets that love them!

Kryten
12-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Following Eckels' example in other threads, I'll just paste my thoughts from chat. ;)

[10:05:07] <@Kryten> "After an outcry from the Haitian community over the game "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City," and to a lesser extent from leaders of the Cuban American community..."
[10:05:18] <@Kryten> apparently the cubans enjoyed their role in the game more
[10:05:19] <@Kryten> ;p
[10:06:04] <@Kryten> "Residents of Little Haiti (in Miami) have become like a sitting duck."
[10:06:14] <@Kryten> ...for drive-bys?
[10:09:45] <@Kryten> "Haitian groups decided...to continue with planned protests...Cuban leaders have said they will join them."
[10:10:02] <@Kryten> omg, there'll be gang fights just liek in teh game!

bigjoe
12-12-2003, 01:04 AM
I dont think that Rockstar tried to intentionally be racist. I mean think about it. The Haitians arent the only nationality/group you get to kill in Vice City! You get to kill Cubans, Columbians, African Americans, Old People, Gay people,Women, Cops, FBI, Army Soldiers ... Vice City promotes equality!

Although the game does make Haitians attack you unconditionally. The Haitians should be proud they get to be the badasses of the game.

TheGeepster
12-14-2003, 09:31 PM
I have no love for GTA and what it seems to stand for, but in this case, I think it's whining.

Protest GTA because you think it's harming our society and I can respect that and I agree with it.

But protesting it simply because it takes place in your locale and may reflect negatively on your culture? Why haven't you spoken out when it was other places that were being maligned as criminal hotbeds?