PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Problem

Tsukuru
12-09-2003, 09:00 PM
This problem started a few days ago. Every time I start up my computer, the homepage I have IE set to changes to some other, no-name search engine that wants hits. An underhanded tactic, I'd say, but I shouldn't be surprised. I tried running a spyware program (Spybot, to be exact) and the problem still isn't fixed.

Any techies know where in the registry or elsewhere in my computer they'd hide the code to do this? Thanks in advance.

Cloral
12-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Homepage - go to Tools->Internet Options->Homepage. Reset it there.

Or, if it keeps changing it on you, you could try another anti-spyware program. I've had success with Ad-Aware, you can get it at www.lavasoft.de

Gerudo
12-09-2003, 09:14 PM
a combination of Lavasoft's AdAware and Spybot: Search and Destroy should rid you of these problems...

CNET's download.com has both...

edit: looks like Cloral posted while i was posting

Ich
12-09-2003, 10:09 PM
If the site is Searchdot.net, then I've had the same problem. I couldnt' get rid of it with either S&D or AA, but it became irrelevant, because I switched browsers to Mozilla.

AtmaWeapon
12-10-2003, 03:49 AM
Do a google search for the site in question, or go to broadbandreports.com and look through their forums. Someone else has had the problem, and someone has probably found a solution.

Dark Templar
12-10-2003, 09:41 PM
spybot search & destroy