PDA

View Full Version : N00b Router Question

linkofzelda1
12-08-2003, 09:16 PM
I bought a router to use (a Neatgear), and I set it up, and it works great. I'm also running my server from this router. The only thing is, how do I access that one computer that's behind the firewall? Every computer has an IP address to use within the network, like 192.168.0.1 or something, but how would I do this from some other location? I'm totally lost with routers, since I've never used one like this before. I tried entering my IP adress that I got from http://www.thatismyip.com and nothing happened.

Can anyone help a n00b like me?

Thunderbird
12-08-2003, 09:26 PM
You have a couple choices. Use the DMZ option, which can be done to one computer only, and is a huge security risk (it exposes the computer to the Internet), or forward the port you need to that computer.

Routers are also firewalls in that they don't pass anything through to the computers on the inside unless you explicitly tell them to do so.

cyberkiller6276
12-08-2003, 10:00 PM
When you go to whatsmyip.com it displays the routers IP, not your computers. If you want to find out your comps IP, there is a commmand prompt command for it, but I forget.

Yes, prot forwarding is the easiest way to do. Unfortuneatly, eery router is diiferent. Look in the instruction manual to find out how to port forward.

RTFM dude. j/k :laughing:

Ich
12-09-2003, 12:34 AM
When I need to visit a location on our network, I go to Start -> Run and type in \\liz\downloads\, liz being the designated name for our host computer, and and downloads being the folder I desire access to. It prompts me "Connect as" and has two boxes for User Name and Password. Give it a run.

Ganonator
12-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by cyberkiller6276
If you want to find out your comps IP, there is a commmand prompt command for it, but I forget.

go Start -> Run
type Command

the command is IPCONFIG

it tells you the address of your computer, and a bit more info, for instance, I get:

C:\DOCUME~1\RUSSWA~1>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1

hope that helps at all...

Thunderbird
12-09-2003, 03:43 AM
Of course with most computer defaults, the appearing window will disappear once IPCONFIG is done, rendering its output useless ;). I would prefer to use the CMD command in the run box, and then type IPCONFIG in there :).

inori
12-09-2003, 07:05 AM
Or, if you're averse to the Run box, you can just find "Command Prompt" on your Start menu. :shrug:

Verman
12-09-2003, 09:46 AM
I think he is wondering how to get to a computer from the outside through the router. So like those dudes where saying port forwarding or IP masquarding (sp?) would be the way to do it I believe.

You have to setup a port say 31337 and have it point to one of the PCs. So if liz has the IP 192.168.0.2. You have to set up the router to point port 31337 to that ip.

So then when you use an outside computer to goto your routers IP you put in the port number and it will route you too. example: 24.74.128.234:31337

Now this works for FTP/TELNET/etc. So I figure it would work for HTTP. never actully tried it with that but meh should work.

BTW, I saw the funniest thing yesterday....it was called a moo moo. what a dumb ass name hahaha made me die laughing. And yes I was buying it to wear! It matches my pink unicorn thong.

Gerudo
12-09-2003, 09:50 AM
edit: looks like verman posted while i was typing this, heheh...

if i get what you're saying, then you're trying the same exact thing i did... running a webserver or whatnot... the thing is, you cant see your external ip, only other people can...

you have to get into port forwarding on your router, and port 80 is commonly used for a webserver. from there, you have to open special ports for other things you want to use (i use 8000 and 8080 for a filesharing prog i have)...

its sorta hard to explain, but once you understand, its a whole helluvalot easier to work with :)

linkofzelda1
12-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks all.:D I got it to work. All I did was set the DMZ host to the server. I guess I'll set up the port forwarding later so I'm not so prone to being hacked.

vegeta1215
12-09-2003, 02:10 PM
What's DMZ host?

Verman did a good job of explaining it I think. I have a Linksys router and I can configure all the port forwarding and setup options via my web browser. It's really easy to use. :D