PDA

View Full Version : Chivalry or Chauvinism?

Ich
12-07-2003, 10:56 PM
This (http://justone.stitchingforsanity.com/archives/cat_us_government.php) is a draft bill (keyword BILL) which would obligate service from men and women. As things stand now, only men are required to register for the draft.

Do you consider the current standing of the bill to be Chivalrous or Chauvinist?

Thunderbird
12-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Sitting on the fence at the moment. Are women actually allowed to register for the draft (at this point in time)?

Gerudo
12-07-2003, 11:14 PM
sure, just wait till all the 'chivalrous' :disgust: males in the army get to talk to the ladies...

Rijuhn
12-07-2003, 11:24 PM
I do not feel women should be forced to serve in the armed forces. If they are willing to help that is fine, but men are naturally the ones with the muscle, guys are made to do physical stuff.

Master Ghaleon
12-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Women wanted to have equal rights and stuff so they gotta have the bad in with the good for having equal rights. I have no problem with it.

Mercy
12-08-2003, 12:34 AM
The draft, even in its current form is unconstitutional and therefore any increase in its range would be a further violation of the U.S. Constitution. Anyone who is forced, and it is forced in the event of a draft, to join the military is not someone who should be entrusted with the safety of a nation. Our forefathers did not risk their lives so that other people would be forced to risk theirs. Selective service was never brought to vote before the people. It was 'instituted' by FDR and his boys when faced with fighting two seperate wars at once (affectionately lumped into one 'World War'), one of which was not very popular at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 and few people including myself would argue against the importance of the sizable U.S. forces involved in both fronts of WWII but the ends do not justify the means.

The question should not be whether or not it is appropriate to force women to register for Selective Service but whether or not we should lynch our politicians for allowing our men to be forced to risk their lives against their own wishes.

Ich
12-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Mercy, the way you put it really makes me change my opinion. Were I to be drafted though, I would probably want to have it be something for only men. Women, I feel, are not designed for combat.

Not that it would be a huge issue; I'd apply for Nuclear Cruise Missile Submarine duty. Safe, safe, safe, and I like cramped spaces.

Eckels
12-08-2003, 01:38 AM
yeah Dubya, start drafting the fairy pussies of the US. I'd love to see a battlefield full of metrosexuals and full on fags charging across the desert after suicide bombers and ragheads. with any luck they'd be treated the same way blacks were treated in the civil war, as shields. Then if the rest of the world doesn't hate us enough already, we'll have fags divebombing into their cities, to take them over. They'll think we're spiting them and sending our weakest in to take them over, and they'll just hate us more.

BTW, if you dont see the humor in that paragraph, kill yourself. Quickly.

slothman
12-08-2003, 02:41 AM
Optimally no one should be forced into slavery, er the military. But if we are attacked and Congress does declare war then both sexes should fight. I know many women, not personally, who would be better fighting than me. Thinking otherwise doesn't seem fair. Of course women probably think only men should be allowed in and of course if they don't mind have a diminutive salary comparetivly and prevention fo other jobs that's their oppinion.

Ganonator
12-08-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Eckels
yeah Dubya, start drafting the fairy pussies of the US. I'd love to see a battlefield full of metrosexuals and full on fags charging across the desert after suicide bombers and ragheads. In all reality, I agree with Eckels 100%. The draft is unbiased -- it takes in all shitheads from "pussy boy software designers" to meathead jocks. The only group suitable for combat, the ONLY group, are the men and women who are trained to be in the military in the first place, not common civilians who are unlucky enough to be drafted.

To answer your original question, Ich, No, women shouldn't be drafted. Could you imagine having to fight next to some ghetto booty from the Bronx? Not to press prejudice, but there are a lot of people, men and women, who simply should not fight. Kill the fucking draft.

MacWeirdo42
12-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Well, I agree, ideally, there shouldn't be a draft. But, as long as we do have a draft, women should be drafted. Just because the average man may be stronger than the average woman doesn't mean that every man is stronger than every woman. Hell, I believe in chivalry, but not to the point of saying a woman is incapable of doing the same things a man can. I'm sure there are a lot of women out there could beat the crap outta me.

Starkist
12-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Our nation can barely handle seeing a few hundred men dying in Iraq these days (as opposed to tens of thousands in past wars.) Imagine the uproar when young women are captured, raped, and killed by the enemy.

deathbyhokie
12-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Thunderbird
Sitting on the fence at the moment. Are women actually allowed to register for the draft (at this point in time)?

they are allowed to, but not required to as guys are.

as for the subject, i'm sorta undivided. the fact that in most branches of the military women aren't placed in combat positions. i do find it unfair that guys can be denied all kinds of government aid an thrown in jail for not registering for selective service, and women don't have to go through the same crap

cyberkitten
12-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
Imagine the uproar when young women are captured, raped, and killed by the enemy.

men are also raped and killed when they're captured. regardless of the gender, it's not about sex, it's about demoralizing the other side.
there are plenty of men who have no place in combat, and forcing them into a combat role is just asking for trouble. i'd much rather see those who *want* to serve get to, regardless of gender. they're much more likely to be motivated to do the job and do it right.

Ich
12-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by cyberkitten
men are also raped and killed when they're captured. regardless of the gender, it's not about sex, it's about demoralizing the other side.

That's true, but society is used to coping with the deaths of young men in foreign wars.

And I think it's the Iraqis who do more raping than other opponents. At least the Nazi's were somewhat civil in treatment to our POW's.

TheGeepster
12-14-2003, 09:18 PM
My opinion is that a draft ought only be used as a last resort.

The reasoning is simple. Our current volunteer system works fine as it is. As a matter of fact, the US armed forces only consists of people who are (for the most part) willing to be there to defend the country in whatever way is asked of them. This means morale is, on average, higher than it would be if people were forced into the military without a choice.

But in the event a draft were needed (very unlikely in the foreseeable future), I would tend to want it geared towards men, for many of the reasons mentioned above.

These include the added psychological trauma of knowing females were abused, which is somehow greater than knowing the same about guys (though why is not fully understood), and the psychological and physical differences between men and women (generally speaking).