PDA

View Full Version : Beating the System

Kryten
12-03-2003, 11:27 PM
(For those that don't like to read, plz skip to the last paragraph :reading: )

So I'm looking into a little electronics project I want to build, and I see that I need some inductors from a specific manufacturer. I get on their website and see that I can actually get a "free sample" of all the inductors that I need. "Great," I think, "I just fill in my address and get the parts for free, with free shipping no less!"
So a couple days later, I get an email from them saying that they only give samples to companies. Great. Nice of them to mention that before i ordered. :eyebrow:

I try again, this time giving the name and address of my family's company. Denied again.
It seems they didn't think a CPA firm would be very likely to do much business with them.

I then go looking for other dealers selling the same parts (it's important that I use parts with the same specs or better). After two days of scouring the internet, I find all of 4 potential suppliers, all of which say the same thing: they only give samples to companies.
Furthermore, they all apparently aren't used to anyone actually ordering just 8 inductors, because they either only sell in increments of 100 or quoted me outrageous prices for individual pieces.

So now I'm putting out a request to the members of AGN.
Who here works for a company that deals - or would feasibly deal - with electronic components, and would be interested in ordering the free samples for me and forwarding them to me (I'll pay for shipping)?
You may, of course, keep any literature or other promotional information you receive with the parts :tongue:.

Ganonator
12-03-2003, 11:50 PM
You can't just say you are a small business? Come on. I would expect Kryten Corp to be top in sales!

Here's my question - if they are giving away 'free' samples, why are they charging you?

If worse comes to worse, give me the information, I can order them from my registered company, Anubison Technologies, and we'll just see how far it goes.

Kryten
12-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Ganonator
You can't just say you are a small business? Come on. I would expect Kryten Corp to be top in sales!

Here's my question - if they are giving away 'free' samples, why are they charging you?

If worse comes to worse, give me the information, I can order them from my registered company, Anubison Technologies, and we'll just see how far it goes.

Well yah, I did use my family business, but apparently they look into the companies that request samples from them, cause they said I wasn't eligable.

The charge isn't for the samples; it's quotes if I wanted to actually purchase the parts. I would gladly pay for them, except they only expect buyers that purchase in bulk quantities, and I have neither the money nor the use for 200 spare inductors.

[EDIT]
And yeah, I imagine your company wouldn't get much farther than mine (though at least it doesn't have "CPA's" in the name), so let's see if there's any other takers first.

gdorf
12-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately, I can't help you out. If I were you, I'd talk to a local computer supply store. Perhaps if you explain your situation to the owner of a small, local, store they'll order them for you.

I am also interested in what you are trying to make. Can you give us any details, or is it hush-hush? ;)

Ich
12-04-2003, 09:16 PM
I think the name "Anubison Technologies" would go over well. After all, technologies, right? And I don't think you can just call yourself "Kryten Incorporated" or something like that. You'd need some kind of federal permission for that. We're learning about it in history now, all this "Corporation" stuff. To be a bona fide business, there's paperwork involved, not just naming yourself.

My parents run a business called "Le Chapeau Rouge" on the side of their jobs, but I think that a company that sells handmade bags and hats my stepmom knits are really going to do us much good in the field of getting parts.

Kryten
12-05-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by gdorf
Unfortunately, I can't help you out. If I were you, I'd talk to a local computer supply store. Perhaps if you explain your situation to the owner of a small, local, store they'll order them for you.

I am also interested in what you are trying to make. Can you give us any details, or is it hush-hush? ;)

For the moment, yes, it's hush-hush. Mostly cause I don't want people asking about it if I fux up ;).

TheGeepster
12-05-2003, 02:50 PM
You may have to just buy a few inductors..

Annoying, isn't it? I know I'm annoyed and I'm not even involved!

Good luck with your quest though.