PDA

View Full Version : IE doesn't work

phattonez
12-02-2003, 09:32 PM
I don't understand this but my computer won't go online for IE. AIM works fine but I can't use IE for a non-apparent reason. Any ideas about what the problem is?

Ich
12-02-2003, 09:40 PM
What's your ISP? Do you connect on a LAN? Have you tried a better browser, like Mozilla Firebird (mozilla.org)?

phattonez
12-02-2003, 09:43 PM
My brother's computer works, and so does AIM. The problem is with IE, not the connection. I use a cable modem on wireless internet.
The websites won't load. It says web site found and that's it. It loads a little. It goes like this
1)|........
2)||......
3)|........
Each step is about a minute.

Master Ghaleon
12-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Did you try to restart it? Did you clear ur history and all that stuff out? I never had that happen before

phattonez
12-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Right now I'm scanning for viruses and I haven't restarted yet. AIM was working before but now it's not. We've had this problem before but I don't know how it was fixed. Once it's done scanning for viruses I'll restart the computer and see what happens.

EDIT**It works now. It must have been something with the wireless connection as I saw it turned red before I restarted. Thanks Master Ghaleon.

AtmaWeapon
12-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Something could have been killing your wireless or hurting the signal. I've had problems where I couldn't load websites but programs like AIM still worked. My best guess is that the internet was working, just very slowly. I imagine AIM sends far smaller bursts of data than a website would require, so it is more likely to work.

At least that's how I explain it to myself when it happens.

phattonez
12-03-2003, 02:16 AM
I think that that is what happens, but it doesn't make sense why other browsers would work. My parents use AOL and that was working.

Also, the taskbar icon for the information on wireless internet is strange:
two computers with a good connection
(1st icon)
the computers with and x in the middle
(2nd icon)

I don't know why it does this but the internet works now so who cares.

theplustwo
12-03-2003, 11:03 AM
98 percent of computer problems are solved by a reboot. :thumbsup:

AlexMax
12-03-2003, 12:36 PM
IE doesn't work

Quoted for truth.

Still, reboots are often your best bet when something all of the sudden just goes plain weird.

Dechipher
12-03-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by phattonez
Any ideas about what the problem is?

You're using IE. Go Get Opera. ;)