PDA

View Full Version : The SNES playability still tops over all...

Dracula
11-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Ripped right from IGN (so sue me)...

Hori's getting the jump on the Game Boy Player's release this March -- the company has just revealed its brand new "Digital Controller" for the GameCube, a scaled-back controller for the console that reproduces the original Super NES' control pad feel for gamers who want more retro control over their Game Boy games when played on a GameCube Game Boy Player.

The controller removes the two analog sticks entirely, but features all the action buttons of a GameCube controller, including the Z trigger as a face button. The analog L and R buttons of the original GameCube controller have been turned digital for Hori's controller. It's obvious that Hori looked at the Super NES controller for its design.

The controller is essentially created for more comfortable play with the GameCube Game Boy Player, but it can also be very useful for fighting games such as Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance where digital control is essential.

http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/horidigitalpad_011403.jpg

...Kickass. Perfect for all the SNES ports for GBA. Too bad it's not available in the States yet, but the Japanese version will work on US systems. Anybody got 1500 yen? :)

War Lord
11-29-2003, 01:40 PM
This was posted a very long time ago.
You can order one from lik-sang.com as well.

cyberkiller6276
11-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Hmm.

War Lord is right, though I have not seen it posted here. I've heard about this SNES controller revamp, but up until now I didn't know entirely what it was. Is IGN saying it will only work for the GB Player, or will it work for all GC games where the analog controls are not needed?

gameguy032
11-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Well, the article did say "...but it can also be very useful for fighting games such as Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance where digital control is essential." So that means it will work for every game.

Every game that is except those that require both controls. I know there's gotta be some out there, but if I've played some, I really don't remember. Maybe Splinter Cell? Oh, and it's missing the C-Stick. And wait, what's this about a Select button? What's that gonna do? there's no button on the current GCN controller that works for that... Unless maybe it's one of those things that's better for the GBA Player.

Mak-X
11-29-2003, 08:17 PM
It's also available from www.videogamedepot.com
http://www.videogamedepot.com/shop/product.asp?pf_id=01I009645011&bhcp=1

I'm considering buying one, since I own a GB Player, and should get the Zelda Collector's disc soon. Although the GC Controller was very comfortable with the control stick playing ALttP, Castlevania: CoTM, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid 1, it didn't hinder the play control for me.

MottZilla
11-29-2003, 08:54 PM
The problem is they still use the oversized A and under sized B and banana X and Y. You're better off with a PS2>GC adaptor. :O

Crazy_Link
11-29-2003, 11:22 PM
yes.. indeed this is old new... I saw it in 1 of my Game Informer magazine...

They look really cool tho, I wish I could get one. It seems like it would be a great controller, but its too pricey...

Guardian
12-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Great. Now all we need is for all NES/SNES game to be made available for GBA (and GC) and suddenly Nintendo's emulation problem wouldn't be so difficult!

vegeta1215
12-13-2003, 01:49 AM
I got my Zelda Collector's Edition disc today, and this controller would be perfect to use to play Zelda and Zelda II. Trying to use the joystick on the GCN controller just doesn't work well, it's not fast enough. The D-pad works ok, but it is really small and in an awkward spot.

So has anyone gotten this controller yet? I'm seriously considering getting one. It looks like you don't have to create an account at that VideoGameDepot site to order something, which is ncie (I have enough online accounts). Anyone ordered from them before?

Zaggarum
12-13-2003, 07:32 PM
very nice. I need one of these things. This will really come in handy when playing my mario and metroid gba games. oh yeah it would really help with the zelda collectors disc. zelda 1 and zelda 2 are way to hard to play witht the controlers now.

Melonhead
12-13-2003, 08:15 PM
The bongo drum playability still tops over all... (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=75&products_id=3842&)
Lol.
I would hate to play any game that makes extensive use of the Z-Button with that SNES controller, but it still seems great. Wonder if it has anysort of grip on the back, or is it just smooth plastic. My problem is my hands sweat like crazy on the regular GC controllers. I just might buy that for the Zelda collector disk, though.