PDA

View Full Version : Slightly complicated warping question

Espo
11-26-2003, 02:40 PM
I hope I can explain this properly. Here's what I'm trying to do.

Dmap 1 is an overworld that progresses until an event happens. When that event happens the player is automatically warped to Dmap2 which is an altered version of dmap1. dmap1 is no longer available to the player and they must progress through dmap2 until it is completed and they are then warped to a sort of hub supposedly connecting different worlds or realms. so dmap2 warps to this hub and from the hub (at this point in the game) dmaps 2 and 3 are available to be warped to. the player goes to dmap 3 and progresses through until an event happens at which point the player is automatically warped to dmap 4 which is an altered version of dmap3. now here's what i'm having trouble with. dmap 3 should no longer be available to the player. at this point the player should progress through dmap 4 until they are comleted and once again able to access the hub. now the hub should give the player access to dmaps 2, 4, and 5. The player goes through 5 until and event and so on.

But if I'm thinking of this problem correctly, if the player returns to dmap 2, and then tries to return to the hub, dmap 3 will again be available to the player. in this example of what i'm trying to do (which is slightly off in my actual dmap numbers for simplicity) the odd numbered dmaps should no longer be available to the player after their corresponding event but i want the player to still warp to the even numbered dmaps from the hub.

I know this is long and seems needlessly complicated but it fits in with the quest I'm trying to build and I need to find a way to deal with this. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drakmyth
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
The only thing I can think of is to make two copies of each DMap. (and map) Then use a thing similar to this:

D# = DMap
# = Map
Hub# = Hub Map
-> implies goes to...

D1 = 1
D2 = 2
D3 = 3
D4 = 4
D5 = 5
D6 = 6
D7 = 7
D8 = 8

2 = 6 *same
4 = 7 *same

D1 -> D2 -> Hub1
Hub1 -> D2 and D3
D3 -> D4 -> Hub2
Hub2 -> D6 and D4 and D5
D5 -> D6 -> Hub3
Hub3 -> D6 and D7 and D8

This is probably a little (or very) confusing but that is the jist. You must create two maps that are identical for each map that the player is allowed to re-enter, The original accesses the unedited map then the copy (which the player returns to) can only access the edited map. Hope that helps.

Espo
11-26-2003, 06:08 PM
will this cause the quest file to become extraordinarily large. I remember reading a post one time where a person said that once his map count went above ten or so the quest file size became very large. It almost seems like a waste to have to use two maps for each section. ah well.

EDIT: I've just noticed that my quest file is 1,426KB and I am only about 25% done with the quest. #!&*

Praethus
11-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Or after DMap 4 you could warp them a "new" hub that allows access to 2, 4, and whatever else you need.

Espo
11-27-2003, 12:19 AM
but i'm not sure if that would work because if were to return to dmap2 the warp that is originally there would take me to the first hub and therefore dmap3 would be accessible

Drakmyth
11-27-2003, 12:00 PM
But you understood my "diagram" well enough? That is the only thing I can think of. If there is another way I would gladly like to hear it because I want to do something similar in my quest but haven't gotten around to doing the multiple map thing yet.

Espo
11-27-2003, 12:14 PM
I do understand your idea and I was actually thinking of something along those lines prior to my post. My concern is creating all these extra maps and have the quest file be huge. Maybe it won't be though.

Drakmyth
11-27-2003, 02:29 PM
I think that the majority of the size is in the tiles and the other options like that. The # of maps probably aren't too big. (They might be but if you think that way then they will be. :laughing:)

Good luck and I hope this quest turns out as you planned it to.

Freedom
11-27-2003, 10:37 PM
why would you need a "bunch of extra maps"?

you can pack a whole lot of screens on one map, the key is in the dmaps.

Espo
11-28-2003, 11:11 AM
I understand that but the dmaps are all overworlds and are too large to fit more than 1 on a map.

Freedom
11-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Espo I understand that but the dmaps are all overworlds and are too large to fit more than 1 on a map.

you seem to be misunderstanding how a dmap works.
a dmap simply gives a screen information, like what color, music, etc.
you only need to reproduce the single screens that you need for warping purposes, not an entire map.
you can have as many d-maps as you want to a map, and they can all be exactly the same with only the "continue" position being different, which would solve your problem, since you can then use sidwarps and tile warps to manipulate where link ends up, and the "continue postion" to start him where he needs to be should he die.

Espo
11-28-2003, 06:36 PM
True. Call that mind fart then. Thanks man.

EDIT: Freedom, I was just thinking about this and I think I remember why I thought that might be a problem. How would you prevent the player from returning to the original warp by using side and tile warps. I understand that you can create a new continue position and use a side warp or tile warp to access the rest of the map but once your back to the original map the player will be able to access the original warp.