PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

PrfectGREG
11-24-2003, 12:34 AM
My home PC is a Compaq presario that I got in January of 2001. My college runs a laptop program and all the students in our major got a laptop with Windows Xp Pro. We are able to go to the schools site at will and download any software we need, so I was able to get an XP pro disk...

Now I wanna know if I would be able to install XP pro on my home PC (currently running Windows ME). My one firend said it should install and work fine, but another says the drivers would be alll messed up and Id have to re install them. \

I am just asking what I should do?

Pablo
11-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by PrfectGREG
My home PC is a Compaq presario that I got in January of 2001. My college runs a laptop program and all the students in our major got a laptop with Windows Xp Pro. We are able to go to the schools site at will and download any software we need, so I was able to get an XP pro disk...

Now I wanna know if I would be able to install XP pro on my home PC (currently running Windows ME). My one firend said it should install and work fine, but another says the drivers would be alll messed up and Id have to re install them. \

I am just asking what I should do?
I installed XP Pro over Win98 on my old comp, worked fine...of course, then I got a virus that wiped the hard drive :shrug:

PrfectGREG
11-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Did you have to re install graphics card drivers and such?

Was the Virus a result of the new software or from like downloading stuff on line?

linkofzelda1
11-24-2003, 12:40 AM
I say go ahead and do it. I did it too and it worked fine. :shrug:

Flash Man
11-24-2003, 01:57 AM
Not all software works with Windows XP as it would with Windows 9X. Some of the software is specifically written for anything that is 9X and some software for NT based Operating Systems most likely will work with Windows XP. A typical program that may not work with XP from 9X would be a Virus Scanner.

There are no drivers that will work from 9X to NT, although Windows XP has their own driver database. Even so I would download all the drivers you would need first just incase, or at least download your modem, network or usb drivers depending about your Internet source so you can get others later. Getting later drivers would be better for more optimizations or bug fixes depending upon your hardware.

PrfectGREG
11-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Do you know how I can download the modem driver for windows ME? or is the driver going to be specific to my computer?

theplustwo
11-24-2003, 01:18 PM
My experience is that almost any driver for an (at least somewhat recent) mainstream computer (which a 2001 Compaq certainly is) will be supported by WinXP right out of the box.

In fact, alot of times an older computer won't run anything higher than 640x480 with 256 colors in 9x until you find the right drivers, but with XP will be able to run all of it's settings right after the install.

Plus, Compaq drivers are pretty easy to find. Just go to the HP/Compaq drivers website (http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/software_drivers.html) and enter your computer's information. It should basically walk you through it.

PrfectGREG
11-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks a bunch, I cant wait to bring my home PC out of the state its in, I am almost embarressed to have run it on ME for so long...