PDA

View Full Version : Trick: Timed Fire Jets

Zaiko360GL
11-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Here's a new trick. ;)

First make the inactive tile and active animation. Make sure there's 8 frames in the animation, and 8 copies of the inactive tile. Make 2 combos, each with 8 frames of animation and "Anim. Speed" set to 4. Make them cycle to each other. Put the inactive tile in one, the active animation in the other. Make the inactive one a "(none)" tile, and the active one a "Damage 1/2" tile.

This will make the tile damage the player for around 32 tics, then a standard tile for another 32.

A variation: Make both of the combos use the same tiles for a "secret" effect ;)

ShadowTiger
11-24-2003, 01:07 PM
..Hm... Sounds interesting. Can you perhaps provide a solid background for the trick? To be honest, I'm really not sure what you're talking about. :shrug: Sorry.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to reiterate? ;) Thanks.

EDIT: Of course, if you're referring to making "Flame-Jets" on the walls or whatever, this could work, but a diagram or screenshot would be nice, to really finalize your point, or what you're trying to get across.

You know how to get a screenshot, right?

Zaiko360GL
11-24-2003, 03:56 PM
...Not really. :laughing:

idontknow
11-24-2003, 04:04 PM
i knew how to do this for awhile now, i just don't know where i can find the tiles to use--anyone have any flame jets or other such obstacles that i could use cuz i actually was thinking about using something like that myself?

ShadowTiger
11-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Sorry, I know they're around there somewhere, but.. where to check. :shrug:

To take a screenshot, press F12. Then upload it to somewhere like http://filespace.brentdax.com, and link it here with the tags [img*]yourimage'surl[/img*] But without the *'s.

Zaiko360GL
11-24-2003, 07:52 PM
...I know the vBcode...

Click here... (javascript:alert('I know a fair amount of Javascript too...'))

EDIT:Stupid code... >_>

ShadowTiger
11-25-2003, 09:27 AM
...Er.. Ok! :kawaii: So can you send us a screenshot of what you're planning? :)

DarkFlameWolf
11-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I understand what he means and its a good way to make a area that was once harmless a harmful damage combo when a player steps over it. (or under it if you want the fire to be over the player sprite)

ShadowTiger
11-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Naturally. C does this in the Grand Kettle. Good stuff, but hard to combat.

One of these days, we should start to draw natural obstacles, such as Floor Girders, Spiky Cylinders, and Fire Jets. So cool.

(Check out Rise Of The Triad here (http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/gameId,418/) for some examples of the stuff you can do now.) (EDIT: Actually, here (http://www.classicgaming.com/rott/hell/rott2.htm) is better.)

KJAZZ
11-27-2003, 01:17 AM
I was thinking of the Fire Shooter things on the Koopa Kid's Warships in SMB3. If the fire comes out of the ground, it's no different than spikes that come out of the ground. (By the same token, spikes can also come out of a wall..;P)