PDA

View Full Version : Animation Timing

Espo
11-22-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm trying make a room where to pass through the room you must wait a certain amount of time, while dodging fire from statues, until the wall blocking the way out disappears. Here's what I'm trying to do but which is not working.

I have two identical tiles next to each other in the tile page that are going to be my wall combo. To create the combo I select the first tile, set the animation frames to 2 and the animation speed to 600 (which I believe should give me 10 seconds). Then I set the "next" combo to be the floor under the wall. If I am thinking of this correctly, the wall should "animate" to itself after ten seconds and then "disappear" to the floor combo underneath the wall.

When I test this room the wall disappears in about 1 second.

There is another problem with this room as well. I'm trying make a counter at the top left of the screen to count down the seconds so the player both understands what the room is about and is able to monitor his/her progress. The counter, however seems to begin at an arbitrary frame in the animation rendering it pretty much useless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have it working except for the arbtirary start time. I would like it to last the full ten seconds everytime. So I guess my question is is there a way to initialize the animation frames upon entering a screen.

idontknow
11-22-2003, 03:57 PM
here's the problem...there is a 'bug' with combo animation & cycling that ALWAYS occurs! what happens is that if the first combo that is placed on the screen that is set to animate & cycle will sometimes skip a couple frames in its animation before actually cycling--what you need to do, is make a copy of the first combo that cycles (the wall) and make its animation frames to 0 & speed to 0 & have it cycle to the wall combo that you have already placed on the screen, the one that is not working, and place this new combo on the screen..why? becuz this combo will always cycle almost imediately to the next combo and then the next combo's animation & cycle will begin appropriately as it should...hope this helps

Dogchew9
11-29-2003, 06:28 PM
i have almost the same problem. I try to make a treasure chest to slash to open.It opens without me doing anything in about a split second!whats wrong.If i just try to use one tile in the combo thingy, wen i slash it it dissapears!i want it to open!

Ganonator
11-29-2003, 11:55 PM
If you have ever played my Journey demo, you know that there are some pretty golden combo animations in it.

If you have something that requires a great deal of animated frames, and are worried that the timing is off, what you should do is make 1 combo for every 2 frames of animation, as long as they are static images. For instance, when the bookshelf moves over, each set moves in succession for combos.

I wouldn't call it a 'glitch' in combo animation, but more of a simple continuity in the normal animation that the game is based on.