PDA

View Full Version : Putting saved pictures into Tiles in ZQuest

garymcqueen
11-20-2003, 02:22 AM
:eek: I have NO clue how to put pictures I made into Zquest.. Could someone plz help meh? I wanna use some chests and sprites in my quest from other games but i gots no idea how. =\ Help? :angry:

Cloral
11-20-2003, 04:13 AM
Use the grab function in the tile editor. Also, make sure that the image is in a low-color (i.e. 16 or 256 color) format or ZQuest will not be able to load it.

ShadowTiger
11-20-2003, 08:56 AM
And usually, JPG's don't function all that well.

Also, I recommend the program IRFanview to reduce the # of colors in an image so you can import it correctly.

garymcqueen
11-20-2003, 10:26 AM
I have NO idea how to use grab fuction.. Does it prompt to open a file? I have no idea :meanie: I'm only 14 i need some simple insctructions and some specefic ones.. Neone wanna help a newb in need? :cry:

Freedom
11-20-2003, 10:56 AM
in zquest, go into graphics> tiles and scroll down to the bottom to an empty page (all black) after the tiles.
If you don't go to a blank spot you will cover over your tiles so be careful.

click on "grap" choose "file" find yout "pic" click "ok"

The colors will be all messed up, so figure on recoloring unless you used the same palette to make the pic as zquest uses.

garymcqueen
11-20-2003, 11:51 AM
See thats the thing.. I dont know what a palette is.. I tried opening a picture.. nothing! no colors nothing came up =\

ShadowTiger
11-20-2003, 12:50 PM
Wow. VERY strange. Can you show us the picture? What KIND of picture was it? .bmp? .jpg? .gif? .png?

And when you're in the tiles editor screen, (ZQuest-->Go Up To The Top Of The Screen-->Quest-->Graphics-->Tiles-->Grab, on the bottom, --> Select the File-->Click and Drag to draw a rectangle around the tiles you want to grab, press enter. --> Recolor if necessary.) .. OK then.

If you want to rip colors, go to The Top Of The Screen-->Quest-->Graphics-->Palatte-->Levels-->The kind of color set that you want to rip the tiles into-->Grab-->Select the color group that you think matches the colors the most-->Enter, whatever.-->Check the "Number" of Palatte that you're in,-->press OK--> Press F4.-->Type the # of palatte you were looking at.-->The screen should change colors to that color group. (This will NOT affect the quest, only YOUR VIEW of that screen. Actual colors go by Dmap Palatte Designation, not "Viewing" the palatte, via F4.) .. where was I.. --> go back to the tiles, and see if the tiles you ripped look right.

OK? :)

garymcqueen
11-20-2003, 12:54 PM
What..? lol.. thats hella difficult for my 14 year old brain.. =\ ne simpler way to explain it? I'll show you the pic..

ShadowTiger
11-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks. ;) Do you need webspace? I HIGHLY recommend http://filespace.brentdax.com/. Get used to typing it fast, 'cuz you'll be typing it a lot. :rolleyes: ;)

garymcqueen
11-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Whats that fr niggerachy?:lmao::lmao: I just wanna put some other pictures into zquest :cry:

garymcqueen
11-20-2003, 08:32 PM
=O Also, I dont have the graphic option under Quest.. Could I be outdated? If so, Can I have a link to the newest Version?

garymcqueen
11-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Got latest version; went to graphics and tiles. I grabbed the file and It came up. However, it was blue and green lines like.. I clicked where it said " Pal " at the near bottom and it changed to right color. I clicked on a tile of the " New, Right looking " picture that it changed to and clicked ok, Yet it STILL showed up as blue and green picture on the tiles.. How do I save the pictures as the Same pallet as ZQuest? :angry:

Yoshiman
11-20-2003, 09:56 PM
http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/images/classic_black/edit.gif

This 'lil button at the bottom of your posts is your friend. If you need to add something, click it. Don't double-post (Posting twice in a row).

You can import the pallete (color) into ZQuest. If you look a few posts up, BH4 already told you how to import colors into ZQuest.

Heck, I was 12 when I started using ZQuest. It isn't going to get any simpler using ZQuest unless you read the tutorials slowly. You can't rush through things like this. The tutorials should give you all the info you need to start building a quest.

Drakmyth
11-21-2003, 12:50 AM
I too am 14 and know how to use the grabber perfectly. (more or less). You are new at these forums so here are a couple tips to keep you from embaressing yourself furthur. (Although this is one of the few forums I've been to that don't really care if you don't know everything about what your doing.)

1.) Use the edit button. Try not to double post and NEVER triple post. People only get mad at that.
2.) Stay calm and ask for help patiently. Most of the people here have lives (gasp!) so you probably won't get an answer right away. Just keep it calm and explain your problem with as much detail as possible.
3.) Be nice. Don't pick fights or flame anyone for any reason. You'll only get in troble that way.
4.) Read the tutorials. These are MAJORLY helpful. Read through all the tutorials, especially Alphadawg's and IDK's. I don't know the links but most people here do. You will be infinitely more experienced when your done.
5.) Don't think to highly of yourself. You deserve credit for what you do, but don't go thinking you can start ZC with no prior experiece and whip out an awesome quest in seconds. These things take time. To make a quest perfect (by your standards, there's no such thing as a perfect quest.) be prepared to spend 1 month or longer on one quest.

Hope that helps out. Just follow those tutorials and you should do fine. Explore ZC too. Try to fix problems on your own first, before asking for help. Good Luck.

Melonhead
11-21-2003, 01:26 AM
Also, people don't like it when you clutter your posts with :cry: , :angry: ,:meanie: ,:confused: , etc. Makes them hard to read.
Cheers!
Also, have you looked at the tutorials?

garymcqueen
11-21-2003, 01:49 AM
lol Sorry about the double post..I've been using ZQuest a while now and I've never done anything advanced such as tile editing .. I do know all the basics though.. I.e Tile warping etc etc.. I never knew we could even use Zelda: A LTP Stuff! This is all new to me =\ Only recently did I even get The new version of Zquest! Today actually! It will definitly take Time to get a hold of these new features.. I just wanted to import some new tiles and The colors were all wrong until I pushed " Pal " then I chose em and it STILL came up as green.. I need help with that before I can do nething :/ If you can give me a Link to IDK's Tutorial I'de 'preciate it =)

Also I just tried the edit on here.. Thanks lol :lol:

New Topic since I cannot Double Post..
I've never succesfully finished a full fledged quest. I have, however, created half of one.. I need to know something.. Is it possible to Double Overworld? And make an entrance to the other overworld Like, in a cave or something? @_@ I'de like to make this other over world a dream =P

Cloral
11-21-2003, 02:50 AM
Sure can. Just make another dmap for it. Heck, you can even make 1 giant overworld by linking 2 overworlds using side warps (i.e. you walk off the edge of one overworld, and come up on the opposite edge of the other one). They, however, will share whistle warps - so you might want to keep that in mind when placing them (an example of how this can end up is the Hidden Duality quest, where you can actually move between the light and dark worlds by blowing the whistle).

And basically, when you grab a tile, it just grabs pixel values in the range 0-15. What those values represent depends on a pallete somewhere that says what each number represents (i.e. it might say that 2 represents light green, so when it draws that tile, whenever it sees a 2, it will draw that pixel in light green). Because the pixel values are likely to be arbitrary with respect to that pallete, you get weird colors. You can, 1) recolor the tile yourself (the red wand works great for this), or 2) grab the image's pallete in. There should be a button to do that either under the pallete editor or the tile editor (can't remember exactly since its been a while since I've done this).