PDA

View Full Version : What's a good web browser?

Dart Zaidyer
11-17-2003, 05:11 PM
I'm sure there's probably been a thread about this at least once, but I can't seem to find one. =/

I'm looking for a new browser, since ol' Internet Explorer is crap for features. So I ask: What's the best free browser out there that works in the most places and has the best features?

(This should be interesting...)

stormwatcheagle
11-17-2003, 05:15 PM
I dono about better than IE, but if you want to try something new, my friend Dark Wolf just released a beta test version of a browser he made himself. Perhaps you could test it?

http://xboards.ffapocalypse.com/post.php?boardid=19&threadid=6&sid=1dbc9f9671e2740b16e28f7e1ad7988c

Kirby of Doom
11-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Mozzila or Mozzila Firebird. I personaly like IE better but Mozzila has some neat features.

AtmaWeapon
11-17-2003, 05:41 PM
http://www.avantbrowser.com

Install this on top of your IE and you have many features present in other browsers.

If you just want to switch period, Mozilla Firebird.

theplustwo
11-17-2003, 06:00 PM
As Atma said, if you just want to switch, use Mozilla Firebird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/) Tabbed browsing, no pop-ups, no crappy "Gator" like plug ins, supports flash, java, and basically everything else. I use it exclusively.

Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
I dono about better than IE, but if you want to try something new, my friend Dark Wolf just released a beta test version of a browser he made himself. Perhaps you could test it?

http://xboards.ffapocalypse.com/post.php?boardid=19&threadid=6&sid=1dbc9f9671e2740b16e28f7e1ad7988c

Yes. A graphical front end for IE with a skin ripped from NeoPlanet that doesn't work. w00t.

AlexMax
11-17-2003, 06:11 PM
I'm using Mozilla right now, but I'm considering switching to Opera. Both are great browsers.

Dart Zaidyer
11-17-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm posting this with Firebird right now. Strangely enough though... It goes a little slower than IE!
It does work nicely so far though, and I have yet to tap its' ad killing potential. (There are extensions that allow you, for example, to choke Flash and even Banner ads!)

Ich
11-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Mosaic. If you want to do it old-school.

Lynx. If you want to do it really old school.

Starkist
11-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Pound for pound, Internet Explorer is the best. Mozilla next, then Opera.

cyberkiller6276
11-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Personally, I use Opera. I tried them all and I think Opera is the best. IE is just fuckin' annoying. Mozzila would be my next choice.

Paradox
11-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Opera (http://www.opera.com) and Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.com) are the best alternatives. I'm using Opera right now.

vegeta1215
11-18-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Starkist
Pound for pound, Internet Explorer is the best. Mozilla next, then Opera.

I don't think IE is the best by any means but you got your word choice right. IE is pretty hefty pound for pound, but I think Mozilla may beat it in that category. Opera is the most lightweight and blazes around the internet. It's my browser of choice. Opera rocks.

slothman
11-18-2003, 03:31 AM
Why does everybody think IE is like God? In my opinion it hasn't gotten any better since version 3. If it didn't come on every MS computer you probably wouldn't think twice about it or once for that matter. Plus I thought you guys hated MS and don't use their products?
Now I installed Mozilla. Is there any way of getting the backgrounds of things like scrollbars, inside the browser not the side and bottome ones, and text boxes to be different than the screen background or better yet white? And also is there a way of getting all hyperlinks to be underlined instead of just a few? And one more question. Is ther a way of speeding it up or at least opening a blank window and then loading the page rather than just "stopping" for a second and seeming like it crashed.

inori
11-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
I don't think IE is the best by any means but you got your word choice right. IE is pretty hefty pound for pound, but I think Mozilla may beat it in that category. Opera is the most lightweight and blazes around the internet. It's my browser of choice. Opera rocks.

Of course, who wants to play pound for pound? IE carries too many pounds... in all the wrong places.

I use Opera myself. It gets the job done, and has the options I want.

AtmaWeapon
11-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Yeah, IE is so bloated, that my Avant Browser interface that goes over it loads faster than Mozilla! I also enjoyed Mozilla's neat little features like not displaying my professors' lecture notes for certain classes.

When will you Mozilla/Opera folks realize that some people just LIKE IE. Some people are used to it, and don't see how all the fancy bells and whistles make the experience better. The only thing tabbed browsing does for me is let me look at forums a little better and perform google searches to embarass forum members easier. At 11.8 MB, I'd hardly call Mozilla much lighter than IE, which is installed with Windows and therefore already resides on your hard drive. So quit trying to convert IE users. I like IE.

Ich
11-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Well, Firebird is smaller than regular Mozilla. I'd be using it now, but I'm using the "text mode" of Opera so it doesn't slow down my MP3 downloads, and the screen is blacker, so it doesn't hurt my eyes. Plus pages load faster.

Starkist
11-19-2003, 12:29 AM
If I use Mozilla, people say I'm merely trying to be "alternative". When I use IE, people say I'm too dumb to know the alternatives. :rolleyes:

IE does what I want best. Mozilla is a close second. Opera and Avant trail far behind in that catagory. Use whatever works best for you.

Radium
11-19-2003, 12:37 AM
A good browser can can use a connection to the world wide web to display pages that are on it using DNS to resolve domain names.

Starkist
11-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Radium
A good browser can can use a connection to the world wide web to display pages that are on it using DNS to resolve domain names.

Lynx. :)