PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Final Fantasy (or other game) Mini-game

teddyboy420
11-16-2003, 10:14 PM
With the impending release of FFX-2 on Tuesday, I am getting more and more excited about getting to play another great FF game. ESPECIALLY, the great side/mini-games that are always found in the game. So, I thought, what a great idea for a topic:think: What is your favorite, or favorites as the case may be, side/mini-game's that are found in the FF series or any other game?

Here are my favorites:

1. BLITZBALL from FFX :cool: This was by far the best mini game IMHO as you could recruit players from all over the world, run your team, watch the free agent market, etc. etc. etc. It just ROCKED :thumbsup:

2.Tetra Master from FFVIII I played this card game for hours and did my damndest to try to turn every monster I came across into a card with that one change-monster-to-card-spell. Another very cool game

Lol, as I was writing this I started to wonder if FFVII had a side game (and if they did I don't remember it), and that led me to think if any of the FF's before FFVIII actually had side/mini games. So, you see my problem? I started this thread about side/mini-games that are found in the FF series, and I think there may only be 3 of them! LOL. So I canged the topic a bit to include any side/mini-games that are found in the FF's, or any other game.

Rainman
11-16-2003, 11:41 PM
FF7 had that mountain battle game which I enjoyed.

deathofspam
11-17-2003, 02:40 AM
FF 7 was full of mini games. The golden saucer was a gigantic mini game.

Brasel
11-17-2003, 03:34 AM
The FF7 bike game was the best one.

Mario RPG had that gameboy one too which was kinda neat.

njptoo86
11-17-2003, 07:35 AM
ff7 had snowboarding

inori
11-17-2003, 07:43 AM
For some reason, I never liked mini-games much. Maybe it's just because I suck at them. :shrug:

Master Ghaleon
11-17-2003, 07:11 PM
I liked the Lunar mini game, it was like pong i think. I havent played it in awhile. That one was for the ps1 version of Lunar. Also there was a card game in the sega cd version that you could win money.

Xenosaga's mini games are cool. I lub the poker one, but sucks that I cannot win regular money, just special kind of money that you can buy prizes. Unless theres a place later in the game.

Blitzball was cool too, you get need to get good players otherwise u kinda need to be near perfect.

AtmaWeapon
11-17-2003, 07:38 PM
I never liked ANY mini-games, because I didn't buy Final Fantasy because I wanted to snowboard, breed chocobos, raise chocobos, jump rope, mimic controller sequences, play cards, or drive a motorcycle. I bought it because I wanted to play an RPG in a fantasy setting.

What's worse is when some essential items are mini-game only. The RPG is a game I play because I can think things through. It doesn't take much skill, just an understanding of the system. By putting skill mini-games into it, they are making Final Fantasies every bit as frustrating to me as the games I'm trying to run from. Like the jumping rope game in FFIX: timing skill is required. The Hippaul game in FFIX: button mashing required. Chocobo Hot & Cold: Patience required (I think you can max like 1,000 points/round about 1/20 of the time, and the Lordly Robe is 10,000 points).

I want to fight a hard boss to get these items. If I want to snowboard, I'll buy "<insert guy here>'s Pro Boarder X (where X is a number from 1 to infinity".

Dracula
11-17-2003, 08:51 PM
I love all the mini games from Yoshi's Island. The watermelon spitting contest is a classic. I also love (although it's not really a mini-game) the murder mystery missions from Metal Gear Solid VR Missions.

deathofspam
11-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
I never liked ANY mini-games, because I didn't buy Final Fantasy because I wanted to snowboard, breed chocobos, raise chocobos, jump rope, mimic controller sequences, play cards, or drive a motorcycle. I bought it because I wanted to play an RPG in a fantasy setting.

What's worse is when some essential items are mini-game only. The RPG is a game I play because I can think things through. It doesn't take much skill, just an understanding of the system. By putting skill mini-games into it, they are making Final Fantasies every bit as frustrating to me as the games I'm trying to run from. Like the jumping rope game in FFIX: timing skill is required. The Hippaul game in FFIX: button mashing required. Chocobo Hot & Cold: Patience required (I think you can max like 1,000 points/round about 1/20 of the time, and the Lordly Robe is 10,000 points).

I want to fight a hard boss to get these items. If I want to snowboard, I'll buy "<insert guy here>'s Pro Boarder X (where X is a number from 1 to infinity".

The absolute worst though is the mini games they make you go through to get the ultimate weapons from FF X. Who the hell came up with dodging 300 lightning bolts? That person needs to be stabed in the neck with a playstation control

teddyboy420
11-18-2003, 12:46 AM
THat lightning bolt one was a pain, it took me a long time ot actually do it. I actually like the fact that some good items can only be obtained from mini games. I also thought of a few more I really like, the CHocobo races in FFX are pretty cool, but Chocobo breeding in FFVII was one of my fave's.

vegeta1215
11-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by teddyboy420
I also thought of a few more I really like, the CHocobo races in FFX are pretty cool, but Chocobo breeding in FFVII was one of my fave's.

I started doing the whole Chocobo racing/breeding thing once. It was really boring! I really want to beat the American Weapons but everyone tells me you must get the Knights of the Round summon to do so - and you need a Gold Chocobo in order to get KoTR!

Well, I'm determined to take down the weapons without KoTR! At least the one that gives you the item which the Kalm Traveler will give you a Gold Chocobo for!

inori
11-18-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
I started doing the whole Chocobo racing/breeding thing once. It was really boring! I really want to beat the American Weapons but everyone tells me you must get the Knights of the Round summon to do so - and you need a Gold Chocobo in order to get KoTR!

Well, I'm determined to take down the weapons without KoTR! At least the one that gives you the item which the Kalm Traveler will give you a Gold Chocobo for!

Why not just beat Ruby Weapon first (many people consider it easier anyway)? You get a complete set of Master Materia for beating him, and Master Summon is in all ways better than Knights of the Round. Then you can go smash Emerald Weapon with KotR off of Master Summon. :thumbsup:

King
11-18-2003, 01:13 PM
FF8's Triple Triad is by far the best minigame I've played. A lot of people like FF7's Golden Saucer, but it's just a bunch of shallow minigames. Only the Coliseum is good.

vegeta1215
11-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by inori
Why not just beat Ruby Weapon first (many people consider it easier anyway)? You get a complete set of Master Materia for beating him, and Master Summon is in all ways better than Knights of the Round. Then you can go smash Emerald Weapon with KotR off of Master Summon. :thumbsup:

That's probably what I'll do. I read in a faq somewhere that there is a good strategy to doing this with Yuffie and her Conformer weapon and lots of HP and MP absorbs and Counters :D

teddyboy420
11-18-2003, 09:14 PM
I had a rant here about how FFX-2 didn't have Blitzball in it. But since this thread is about favorite side/mini-games, and not how DISAPOINTED I am THAT THERE IS NO BLITZBALL in FFX-2, I removed the original post.