PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life's Steam power.

TedHead
11-15-2003, 01:48 AM
http://www.steampowered.com/

Any of you Counter-Strike/Half-Life fans been using this at all?

It's a pretty cool system they have going... and if you ever want updates on the games ever again, you are basically forced to get it as they are all being released on Steam only.

The graphics have been MAJORLY improved, it actually looks like a somewhat recent game now. I'm very impressed with that.

It has the built in server list and buddying system, like Gamespy Arcade and the such. It's cool.

HOWEVER, there are still a good amount of bugs in it, but they are constantly working on them. One thing I hate is that you have to be connected to the internet to play half-life single player, even though you're playing yourself and have all the game content on your drive which really requires no connection to anything else at all. They say in the FAQ they are working on that, but I can't find anything on it in the forums. I hope they get that fixed up soon.

If you plan on downloading it, go to http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/127009.shtml instead of the files shown on the official site. The giant 700MB file on the site has the game information already cached in the install file. Basically you're downloading the information on a game you already own. If you go to the location I put above, the download is only about 580kb and it will convert any existing Half-Life software on your computer to the new Steam cache.

Mods and such will work, but after they are all installed they must be converted through Steam. Eventually things will be made to be Steam compatible in the first place, but for now they need to be converted with the client.

All in all it's pretty cool. It needs some work, but it's getting better. It's essentially the future of Half-Life, which is the greatest FPS ever to exist!

Oh yes, Day of Defeat v1.1 was released this week if anyone plays it... it's only available through Steam at the moment though since it is a beta. It's the first update since the retail release.