PDA

View Full Version : Dark Dude and Zelda Classic

Dark Dude
11-13-2003, 12:00 AM
It took me forever to find a place where I could successfully download Zelda Classic and ZQuest, and even then I had some troubles. First I tried the Windows versions, and ZQuest worked perfectly, but Zelda.exe didn't. I do have the support files. So then I tried the DOS versions, and ZQuest still worked, but slower. And and Zelda.exe worked, but also slow, the music doesn't work, and the joypad doesn't work. *sigh*

DarkFlameWolf
11-13-2003, 12:33 AM
um........that's the EXACT same problems I'm having with both versions.......maybe the solutions could be the same for both of us?

Melonhead
11-13-2003, 12:35 AM
What are version of Windows are you guys using? It works for me on XP...

Cloral
11-13-2003, 12:57 AM
I can't get either of the windows versions to work since I've put directX 9.0b on here. In windowed mode, they crash out instantly. In full-screen, they are very much squished vertically making them impossible to use.
In dos mode, they work, but very slowly. In ZQuest the mouse pointer moves maybe once a second.

Honestly, I think the windows ones are having issues with Allegro, and the dos ones are suffering from XP's poor dos compatability. So neither is anything any programmer of ZC could really do anything about, short of switching to another gaming library. And I don't expect them to do anything of that sort.

BTW, I should point out the current best location for downloading seems to be AlphaDawg's site. I'll make another frozen topic for this since the link is buried within the downloading thread.

Demimore
11-13-2003, 05:41 AM
It works perfectly (Windows version) in Windows XP Professional and with Direct X 9b..

MottZilla
11-13-2003, 02:33 PM
One thing I noticed in either beta 182 or 183, if you turn off transparencys the game seems to perform better, yet certain things are still transparent. :O Not sure what got fucked up there, but the game performed alot better after i decheckd the option.

Dark Dude
11-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Melonhead
What are version of Windows are you guys using? It works for me on XP... Windows XP Home Edition
here's the bad part:
365 MHz
256 MB of RAM

Verbatim
11-14-2003, 02:09 PM
For me, the windows versions work just fine under XP, while the DOS one both crashes, and really messes up my video-card drivers, I have to kill ZC, then hibernate my computer and turn it back on before I can see anything again.

I do have one small problem...my monitor or video-card (not sure which) shows a 320x240 screen as 320x480, which is both small and double-tall (this is a laptop, i.e. digital screen). I can fix that for ZC by adding -res 640 480 big to a shortcut, but the best I can do for Zquest is to run it -windowed.

As far as the problems you've been having, DD...if you're running XP on a computer like that, you're asking for trouble. Unless you have more than 384MB of RAM, you're taking a performance hit just by running XP instead of 98. There are plenty of 256MB machines running XP, either because few people would buy a new computer that wasn't running "the latest" OS, even if it isn't better, or because new hardware doesn't have Win98 drivers, but for a computer like that, 98 should be better for everything, except (possibly) crashing.

DFW...what kind of a computer do you have? If yours is fast...it must be a problem with ZC, one of its libraries, or some kind of conflict...if it's slow and/or low on RAM, it may just be that the system requirements for running ZC under XP are higher, due to XP being such a hog.

Blankboard
11-14-2003, 06:50 PM
hmm... Im runnin Windows ME and no problems for either Windows or DOS version... wonder why...

DarkFlameWolf
11-14-2003, 10:18 PM
mine is a very fast computer, and so it must be ZC. The allegro libraries no doubt.

Dark Dude
11-15-2003, 01:08 AM
Well, I can get the Windows version of ZQuest to work just fine. If Zelda Classic worked like that, problem would be fixed. I would try AGSetup.exe, but I can't find it anywhere.

MottZilla
11-15-2003, 02:27 AM
The allegro libraries are very well done, the only thing is ZC is using a w.i.p. beta version I believe. Another thing, I'm pretty sure the current ZC release still was one which had debugging code on when compiled, and either way it was buggy, which is part of everyone's problems with running ZC.

I really doubt it's allegro's fault.