PDA

View Full Version : TV Movies

Tsukuru
11-11-2003, 07:52 PM
It might be the next annoying trend on television - TV Movies that are based on true stories, but in truth have little fact. To name a few:

The Reagans (which may air on Showtime rather than CBS)

Elizabeth Smart Story on CBS

Jessica Lynch on NBC

The Perfect Husband on USA, about Scott Peterson who will likely be tried for the murder of her wife, Laci Peterson. (Here's (http://www.thewpbfchannel.com/entertainment/2599257/detail.html) the link)

The last one about Laci Peterson takes the cake for the worst made-for-TV movie. The trial hasn't even happened yet, so the movie is bound to be nothing but speculation and anything but fact. There is already enough media bias surrounding the case.

Of course if someone hates to TV the easiest thing to do is turn it off, but complaining is still fun. :)

Kirby of Doom
11-11-2003, 08:00 PM
It's called "the tv people are making money off of other people's misfortunes." <- Slightly exaggerated (spelling?) but seemingly slightly accurate.

Melonhead
11-11-2003, 08:21 PM
The Elizabeth Smart Story and the Jessica Lynch movies are apparently crap, and the Reagan movie is so shrouded in controversy that it may never air. Still, I'm sure lots of people will watch it if it does.

TheGeepster
11-11-2003, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jessica Lynch and Elizabeth Smart stories have some inaccuracies in them, but I don't really know much about the movies themselves.

As far as the Reagans special goes, scripts for the series managed to get out, and the portrayals of Reagan (particularly dramatic elements in them) were not flattering in the least. Not helping CBS in this series was the news that the family members of Ronald Reagan were not approached for stories which might reveal something of Ronald Reagan's personal, private side.

All the information I have heard casts this mini-series as a sort of political "hatchet job" of an ex-president that a large number of people strongly admires in a time where the subject of that mini-series cannot defend his name.

I hadn't realized the Scott Peterson movie was being made, but if it is, then the timing makes its accuracy very suspect. (And I think he did murder her!)

The sad truth about TV movies is that it tends to show more about how the producer thinks than about how the subject of the movie thinks.

If the focus is on the written and spoken testimony of those close to the subject, then a fairly good, reasonably accurate TV movie could be made, but it might not be as flashy or mass-driven as TV execs might like..

Ich
11-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm sick of Kobe and Laci. Don't they have something real to report on, like the fact that the economy just grew 7% in the last quarter? I mean really. People who are really interested in it can read it in the tabloids or People magazine. The major news networks are becoming more like the tabloids every day. Human interest? I'm not interested.

Dracula
11-12-2003, 09:40 AM
I hate these kind of TV movies... Shit, and now they're thinking of the California Recall for a mini-series... Jesus Christ, that's gotta be fucked up! :laughing:

Feasul
11-12-2003, 04:37 PM
You know, Elizebeth Smart's parents are promoting the movie, and Elizabeth actually offered to play herself. As awful as it is, it almost makes me wonder if maybe the whole thing was just a scam to make money.:shrug: