PDA

View Full Version : Official Calvinball Rules!

linkofzelda1
11-11-2003, 01:45 AM
Have you ever wondered what it's like to play calvinball? I have. I found the rules here (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Nook/2990/cb_rules.htm). It's pretty interesting. Now you can go play it with the annoying kids next door that you have to babysit.

Dart Zaidyer
11-11-2003, 01:59 AM
That's stupid. Everyone knows that the only rule in Calvinball is to never play it the same way twice. (Although later on, it was also mentioned that masks and at least one ball are required, no questions asked.)

inori
11-11-2003, 04:50 AM
Uh... this was posted about two weeks ago. -_-

linkofzelda1
11-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by inori
Uh... this was posted about two weeks ago. -_-

Doh! My bad.

cyberkiller6276
11-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I think it was I who found this, if I'm not mistaken.

TheGeepster
11-11-2003, 09:08 PM
First time I've seen the link, and all the rules listed are valid. Some of them are merely notes of interest about a certain aspect of the game.

There are all varieties of online games based on similar principles, usually with a singular person in charge of keeping track of the current ruleset and the status off all players. Not many have a lot of players at the moment though, sadly.

The official classification of Calvinball is as a "self-modifying game", or a game that changes as it is played. These kind of games make for an interesting study of psychology, because the limitations at the start are few and usually general in nature, rather than specific and plentiful.

(Themed games of this nature are similar to deciding on using optional equipment such as wickets and mallets ahead of time, and usually have very broad possibilities within the theme.)

inori
11-12-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by linkofzelda1
Doh! My bad.

Ah, not that big a deal. It was buried in another thread, actually, now that I think about it. :shrug: