PDA

View Full Version : Jobs and Seasonal Jobs...

moocow
11-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Okay, so how many of you have jobs? As most of you know, I work at Auntie Anne's in our local mall (Auntie Anne's Hand-Rolled Soft Pretzels...). I've only been there for about a month and a half.

Is anyone working their job plus a seasonal job?

I am. :p

I started out at Bear Creek tonight. I answer phones and try to force people into buying stuff they don't want. *shrug* Oh well. I work 2nd shift. So, I work from 9-4 at Auntie Anne's (that's 7 hours), then from 5-10 at Bear Creek (10 hours). Since I'm 2nd shift I make an extra .60 an hour. Lots of workin, but worth the money.

Plus, if we meet our weekly goals at Auntie Anne's every week, each manager gets an extra $25 on their pay check, per week. So I could get an extra $50 on my pay checks there. And, at Bear Creek, if I sell a certain item that's on sale, then I get an extra $1 on my pay check. You can easily sell around 40 extra items in a week... that's $40!

I get paid Bi-weekly at Auntie Anne's and weekly at Bear Creek. So, I'll have money pretty much all the time.

With this extra money, I can buy my Christmas gifts, and set money back for my trip to NY this spring. I'll still be able to pay my credit card payment, and by the time Christmas is over, I should hopefully be making my $8 at Auntie Anne's and still be able to pay for a new car and pay off my school loans. I've got this all pretty well thought out, I'm proud of myself :)

So, is anyone else working an extra seasonal job this winter?

Dracula
11-11-2003, 12:09 AM
I'm still looking for the right job... I'm thinking of working at a Komatsu dealer just down the road from my house... Ok, a Komatsu place is where they sell and fix up construction equipment, like bulldozers, dump trucks, backhoes, whatever... I'll probably end up being an equipment cleaner or a welder... :shrug: Pay should be decent, though.

inori
11-11-2003, 04:51 AM
I teach English (as a foreign language) in a (Japanese) high school. It's a full-time job; I wouldn't have time for another job even if I wanted one (or if my visa allowed me to have one).

Tudorcat
11-11-2003, 07:53 AM
I am a student but I have lots of extra jobs and even extra seasonal jobs. Working as a waitress and a bartender means that you always will be needed somewhere all throuout the year.

Master Ghaleon
11-11-2003, 12:27 PM
I work full time at my Restaurant and I was helping out at the Sportsplex keeping stats on sundays either before or after my football game.

Goat
11-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Bear Creek is a bastard. Remember when i tried to get a job there 2 years ago Chan? That's cool tho, you be raking in the dough now. I work at TARGET!!! WOOO!!!!! TARGET!!!! FUCK WAL*MART!!!! They pay me $8.25 and give me 40 hours a week so its all good.

Ich
11-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I've had my job as a cashier for almost 6 months. I get a raise December 1st (6th month of work) to just under $7 an hour. Life is good.

VEL
11-12-2003, 12:31 AM
I've never had a real job. I've done work for a friends dad before, mainly helping fix up a garage that was falling apart. I am currently trying to figure out what to do about getting a job. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I might wait a while until I finish up something else that is quite time consuming, and I'd like to get it out of the way first, before I have a job taking up alot of my time. I could even end up with two jobs, since there is something else I'm thinking of doing, but I don't think it would pay enough to be my only job.

linkofzelda1
11-12-2003, 12:48 AM
I'm a professional drug dealer, only because prostitution doesn't pay as well as it used to. ;)

Seriously though, I'm in the same boat as VEL; never really had one. I should get one though, as I am poor.

~cydlet~
11-12-2003, 11:11 AM
come 5pm Friday, i'll be unemployed. :( so i should be looking for a job (or two) to pay the bills. i'm not thrilled about having to go on unemployment and potentially lose my health insurance, but i've been paying into unemployment for half my life, so what the heck.

deathbyhokie
11-12-2003, 12:51 PM
i work at a training academy for VDOT. i pretty much sit in the office, and take care of accounting stuff. woo me. it's full time, and pays around 10 bucks an hour.

ShadowTiger
11-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Inori, that must be the best job in the world. ... according to many anime fans, I'm sure.

I have a (school)year-long job babysitting a 10 year old after school. Wednesdays and Thursdays, I leave directly from school, walk for 5 minutes, and use their computer until Marc comes home. Then we duel in Yugioh or play SSB or watch TV until his parents or older brother come home, and I get 6 dollars. I take the 2 hours I have waiting for him (because he comes home at random times) to post.

Melonhead
11-12-2003, 01:01 PM
I work in a computer lab at a school during the school year, then during ski season I work at Timberline lodge.

AlphaDawg
11-12-2003, 02:53 PM
I have an interview next Wednesday for a seasonal data-entry job at everyone's favorite government institution, the IRS. It actually pays fairly well (appx. $12.50/hr) and is a full-time job for the duration of the tax season. The hours aren't too bad either... Monday to Friday 6 pm - 2:30 am.

This of course assumes I can get a permanent job. Even though I could certainly make do working only for the IRS, training (2 weeks, only 20 hours/week) wouldn't start until January, and full-time work shortly after that.

inori
11-13-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
Inori, that must be the best job in the world. ... according to many anime fans, I'm sure.

Close. But I'd much rather be teaching computer science... English was actually my least favorite subject in school. :rolleyes: Fortunately, that doesn't mean I'm not reasonably capable at it.

War Lord
11-13-2003, 06:17 AM
I am a manager for a national pizza chain (http://www.donatos.com), make very good money, much more than I thought I would initially, and my rate is expected to go up sometime in the near future as well.

I get plenty vacation time, holiday hours (to take even if we don't have a holiday that day), and sick days.

I've worked there for a year and a half or so, love it, and don't plan on leaving there soon.
It's gotten me a brand new car and I could easily move out of my parents house now, but I choose to save more, and more money.

moocow
11-13-2003, 09:10 AM
OH YEAH!? Well, I roll pretzels for $6.50 an hour because my boss is a two-faced bitch.