PDA

View Full Version : Hearts on AGN

Ich
11-10-2003, 01:44 AM
I just learned how to play the card game hearts this weekend, and was wondering if there are any people on AGN who'd want to partake in some friendly play of Hearts on some random gaming network. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Rules for Hearts, from Yahoo!

BASICS: A standard deck of 52 playing cards is used in Hearts. The object of the game is to try to get the lowest score by avoiding taking tricks containing hearts and the queen of spades. Although it's possible to play hearts with anywhere from three to seven players, the usual version--and the one played at Yahoo!--is for four. Players may select 'Play Robot', a Yahoo! Hearts artificial intelligence, if they need an extra player to begin or complete a game.

PLAYING
Players look at their hands. Each player then chooses three cards and places them facedown on the table. After all four players have done this, they simultaneously pass these cards to another player. On the first deal of a game, players pass cards to the player on their left; on the second deal, to the player on the right; on the third deal, to the player sitting across the table. No cards are passed on the fourth deal. After that, the cycle is repeated, with players passing cards left on the fifth deal, right on the sixth deal, etc.

After the pass, the player who holds the two of clubs begins play by placing it faceup on the table. Each player in turn, going clockwise around the table, plays a card until all four players have done so. Whoever played the highest card of the suit originally led takes the four cards, which constitute a "trick," and places them facedown on the table. Cards rank, from highest to lowest, as follows: A, K, Q, J, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2. The winner of a trick leads the first card of the next trick.

A player must follow suit when able to. If unable to, a player may play any card--except that on the very first trick, a player may not play a heart or the queen of spades. A player may not lead a heart unless hearts have been "broken"--that is, unless someone has already played a heart or the queen of spades in a previous trick. (This rule, like many others in hearts, varies in some circles. The rules given here are the most standard, and are the ones used at Yahoo!) A player with nothing left but hearts, or with nothing but hearts and the queen of spades, may lead a heart. The queen of spades may always be led (though it's usually very unwise to do so) even if hearts have not been broken.

There's more, but I pasted the most relevant part. I'm not sure if you have to be logged in to see it, so I posted it here.

Crazy_Link
11-10-2003, 01:46 AM
I would but I dont know how to play :(

Starkist
11-10-2003, 02:25 AM
I just played my friend girl tonight and lost. :blah:

TheGeepster
11-10-2003, 03:09 AM
Do you prefer playing with the Jack of Diamonds rule? (or was it ten of diamonds? it's been too long)

I lub hearts, especially when I slip someone the Lady in Black :D

gdorf
11-10-2003, 07:51 PM
I'll play you sometime, maybe on yahoo?

My AIM s'n is camaroguy475, and I am ALWAYS online. Also, you can send me a pm. I am more of a chess palyer than a hearts player, but I would still enjoy playing. :)