PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse

Linkafier
11-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Well tonight (Saturday, Nov. 8th) I guess we'll be having a lunar eclipse, not much a big of deal to me, but maybe to others.

http://msnbc.com/news/978686.asp?cp1=1 - Click for info.

Carmine
11-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Damn, thats to bad for everyone here. We've had about a straight week of cloudy weather. It's been so long, I'm startin to forget what the sun looks like :P .

But yeah, to bad. I don't think I've ever really seen an actual eclipse. I feel deprived that I've never had a chance to have my retinas cooked medium rare :shrug: .

TheGeepster
11-08-2003, 05:51 PM
8 Eastern Time, 7 Central if I understand it correctly. (That's the projected timing for the biggest part of the show, the eclipse itself goes on for about 5 or 6 hours, with the total umbra being about in the middle)

It's supposed to be a bright eclipse (as far as lunar eclipses go that is), and so it should be interesting.

moocow
11-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Oooh... Sweet!

*goes and sits outside*

Yeahr ight, it's too damn cold :o

TheGeepster
11-08-2003, 09:07 PM
*sigh* Well, it's time for the eclipse and I have one major obstacle..

CLOUDS!! The whole sky here is filled with them, and seeing as they are opaque and between me and the moon, I see nothing.

Somebody tell me the color of the moon and what it looks like in areas with clearer skies.. PIctures would be great! (I was planning on snapping a photo, oh well)

Rainman
11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
I just viewed it right now at about 8:15 which should be right in the middle of the eclipse. :shrug: The only difference I see is that is looks reddish.

Tudorcat
11-08-2003, 10:42 PM
I just saw it here but I think it looks cooler and more stunning as its slowly changing back. Going from a big red ball to a small yel
low moon with something blocking it and growing. Its in
its final stages here now. Dont miss out.

:kitty:

Foxy
11-09-2003, 01:08 AM
JJ and I were at a friend's birthday party tonight and we all went out to watch the eclipse. Sure, it was extremely cold, but it was really cool to watch.

And then we all ran back in and huddled around the wood stove for a bit. :tongue:

'Twas a beautiful sight!!!

stormwatcheagle
11-09-2003, 06:01 AM
It's really bright. It looks like there are 2 moons now.

Master Ghaleon
11-09-2003, 09:08 AM
People were talking about it at work on Sat. Around 8 I took off and I saw the Lunar Eclipse for about 15 min or so, pretty cool ;)

Feasul
11-09-2003, 09:16 AM
I saw it. It was absolutely clear, not a cloud in the sky. By the way, you get your retinas burned from a solar eclipse, not a lunar.

stormwatcheagle
11-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Feasul
I saw it. It was absolutely clear, not a cloud in the sky. By the way, you get your retinas burned from a solar eclipse, not a lunar.

Yeah, but that moon was still the brightest i've ever seen. It lit up the sky and was bright enough to mask out several other dimmer stars.

*b*
11-09-2003, 02:40 PM
I live in a heavily forested area, so I had to go onto my roof to see it. it wasn't complete when I went up, but by the time it was, i could see it by standing outside. very cool

Clueless Blonde
11-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Yeah yeah, I was with Foxy and JJ last night - it was beautiful. :)