PDA

View Full Version : OS and browser

slothman
11-06-2003, 04:50 PM
2 questions. What browser is better Mozilla or Opera, or something else? Can either of those run Google's toolbar and other I.E. only items? And what OS should I use 98 or 2000? And can either of those still be bought? I don't want ME or XP and don't know of any other microsoft OS, Linux is too complicated and doesn't work exactly like MS' OSes. It seem's like many things don't like 95 or Netscape anymore. arg.

Ich
11-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Well, firebird has an integrated google toolbar. And I'd suggest Win2k.

theplustwo
11-06-2003, 05:04 PM
I agree. Out of the options you've given (Opera, Mozilla, Win98 and Win2K) I'd say Mozilla and Win2k are your best bet. Unless you game alot, then stick with 98. Opera costs $35, unless you steal it, and there are plenty of plugins available for mozilla (and skins!) although it does come with the Google search bar already. And tabbed browsing. Once you go tabbed, you never go back.

Paradox
11-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by theplustwo
Opera costs $35, unless you steal it, and there are plenty of plugins available for mozilla (and skins!) although it does come with the Google search bar already. And tabbed browsing. Once you go tabbed, you never go back.

Actually, Opera is free (with a tiny ad in the corner which you don't even notice) - you can download it from their website . Opera has all that Mozilla has (including tabs, skins, multiple search bars). I've tried both Opera and Mozilla Firebird. I prefer Opera mainly because I like their tabs better, and I prefer their downloading screens. Both Opera and Mozilla have popup blockers, but Opera has an essential option for it called "Open requested popup windows only" - Mozilla blocks all popups, even ones you want. I'd suggest trying both browsers and seeing what you like better.
As for 2k/98, I'd recommend 2000.

theplustwo
11-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Paradox
Actually, Opera is free (with a tiny ad in the corner which you don't even notice) - you can download it from their website . Opera has all that Mozilla has (including tabs, skins, multiple search bars). I've tried both Opera and Mozilla Firebird. I prefer Opera mainly because I like their tabs better, and I prefer their downloading screens. Both Opera and Mozilla have popup blockers, but Opera has an essential option for it called "Open requested popup windows only" - Mozilla blocks all popups, even ones you want. I'd suggest trying both browsers and seeing what you like better.
As for 2k/98, I'd recommend 2000.

Actually, no. Mozilla only blocks popups that are not requested by mouse clicks. For example, if I click a link in your signature, it opens in a new window. If I click on a Javascript pop up link (such as the "Get More" emoticons link) it opens up. Only pop-ups that are unrequested get blocked. In firebird at least. Not that Opera is any worse than Firebird, or Firebird is any better, but I just hate the idea that an ad built into my browser is sucking up even a negligable amount of my precious bandwidth. Plus the principle of the thing. Why charge $35 for something that can be had in other, equally good, versions for free? But ultimately the choice is up to the user.

Opera is pretty good about not using annoying flashing ads in their built in ad. But it's the same size as a banner ad, so I wouldn't say I didn't notice it unless I also didn't notice banner ads in pages.

gdorf
11-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Well, I love Firebird. But personal experience is the best way to judge a browser.

Also, win2k is MUCH better than 98.

Radium
11-08-2003, 02:58 AM
Opera's better.

vegeta1215
11-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Radium
Opera's better.

Indeed.

With each new release of Opera they keep adding more and more great features. One thing I like about the newest version that will satisfy some of those nay-sayers who complain about the ad in the upper right corner - the google text adds. When you install Opera, you can choose between their regular graphical ads, or google texts adds whick take up less space, load faster, and actually show you ads relavent to the site you're browsing!

Another cool feature they added is a Closed window history which is handy when you want to find that site you just accidentally closed. Plus I like being able to disable plugins with the click of a button so I dont' have to see annoying flash ads which bog down sites like IGN.

The Mozilla line of browsers is my second favorite. Firebird is nice and slim, but it lacks the features of Mozilla and is a pain to upgrade since it's still beta (you have to delete your profile, and there are some plugin issues with the Windows version). About pop-ups - Mozilla blocks unrequested pop-ups just like Opera. In fact, one thing Mozilla has that I like which Opera doesn't have (yet) is a feature where you can say "Always open pop-ups from this site". They also have a similar function to block all images from a certain site - can you say no more ad.doubleclick images?

Predcon1
11-09-2003, 05:38 PM
I personally prefer Mozilla, as it's open-source state has allowed me to convert it for use with my Amiga OS 4.0

slothman
11-09-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm going to try Mozilla. BTW does anybody use XP? How does the registration work? Do you need .NET for anything?