PDA

View Full Version : Archie Bunker vs Michael "Meathead" Stivic

Monica
11-06-2003, 04:09 PM
I remember All in the Family. It was because of that show that I got interested in politics. Thanks to Nick @ Nite and TV Land, I could watch these headed debates.

The writers of this show tried to exaggerate the political personalities of the charecters. Now I'm a Republican. I don't understand why Archie acted that way. He couldn't pronounce his words, and they made him seem like he had no clue what he was talking about. Why is that? Besides that I didn't find anything wrong with him, yet they made him out to be the bad guy.

On the other hand, I couldn't find any exaggeration with Mike. He acted just like a Liberal.

Is it just me or was that show bias toward liberals? I'd also like others' views on their personalities.

TheGeepster
11-06-2003, 04:53 PM
I thought Archie Bunker was portrayed as the overly-opinionated guy who always somehow managed to do the right thing despite himself.

I haven't ever watched much though.

Monica
11-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Yes, that's true, Geepster. I actually respected his charecter a lot. It just annoyed me because they made him unable to pronounce his words, while they made Mike seem educated (yet, imo VERY ignorant)