PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft allies with the FBI and U.S. Secret Servic!!

Tudorcat
11-05-2003, 10:26 PM
I don know if you have heard abot this already but anyways it sure was bout time.

"Microsoft allies with the FBI and U.S. Secret Service, and in coordination with Interpol, puts US$5 million into a program designed to identify and prosecute launchers of malicious code."

read more

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2003/nov03/11-05AntiVirusQA.asp

Melonhead
11-05-2003, 10:36 PM
Microsoft has also listed bounties for the authors of recent virii that targeted the security vulnerabilities that came from Microsofts bad code...

Raichu86
11-05-2003, 11:04 PM
So much for terrorism being the worst threat to the security of this country...

TheGeepster
11-06-2003, 03:04 AM
Microsoft being the premiere software company (especially of OS software), it makes sense that they would aid the law enforcement agencies in this. They do have a legitimate interest in removing these criminals after all.

I don't know any of the details though.

inori
11-06-2003, 05:22 AM
What Microsoft is really saying here...

"We finally realized that you could drive a fleet of semis through the security holes in our products, so we're gonna throw money at the problem and hope that the police bail us out."

Ich
11-06-2003, 08:34 AM
I think Microsoft would have a vested interest in protecting their monopoly. If people realized about the goatse sized holes in their security, they might switch to OS X or Linux and we can't have that. There'll still be viruses, and people will need new software and lots of new patches.