PDA

View Full Version : A Wizz-kid is coming...

eXodus
11-05-2003, 09:12 PM
I'm working on my first loose tile sheet, and would like to ask for some ideas. It's going toe be a Link edit, and I already have the main Link sprites in it done. In the tradition of PolygonX8's LightNut (from DarkNut Wars), I am making a LightRobe :blackmage . A real name for it is wanted, but I'm looking more at item / weapon replacements that fit the Apprentice Wizz-Robe.

I've already planned the following:

Wand bolt stays the same, but no idea how to make it look sort of like a Wizz-robe's (i.e. wand doesn't exist, just looks like it's being cast)
Red Fire is normal, but Blue Fire is to be some kind of magic powder / sparkle
One of the swords is going to look like one-space chain lightning :shocking:
A more powerful sword is to be an animated slash like a curving trail of energy
Wooden Sword might possibly just be a Zora / Statue fireball on a 0 HP Beam Sword

...and that's all I'm fairly certain of. I don't even know whether an animation set in the Weapons data for a Sword or Wand will work right - as far as I can tell, ZC just uses the tile to the right of the vertical one for horizontal, nothing else considered. But I still need more ideas, especially if a quest is made with this.

Verbatim
11-07-2003, 12:40 PM
As far as making the wand disappear...you could just make the wand graphics blank.

That might make it odd that things right in front of you die/get hurt when you use the wand before the magic beam appears.

The other option would be to make the wand graphics the same as the wand-bolt graphics, in which case the beam would stand still in front of the player for a while before darting off. Try both, and see what you think looks better.

eXodus
11-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Thought of that, but wasn't too sure how it would turn out on a wand. Now that I've tried the Fireball though, I can safely say two things:
[list=1]
Using the wand blast as the wand should work well, but it won't be pallete cycling
I can cut out the animated slash / animated lightning idea, because only the sword beam animates and pallete cycles
[/list=1]
What I want to know is why no one has given any more ideas. If you want to see a picture first, here it is:

http://www.brentdax.com/filespace/coolest_rm_ever/LightRobe1.gif

Qun Mang
11-10-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm not a quest developer, so I can't give many ideas as far as that goes, but a possible idea for a name may be sorcer-robe. Could the wand graphic be replaced by a charging graphic? Like he is "charging" the spell (think of Brennan in Mutant-X charging his electricity before throwing it). Again, I am not a developer so I don't know if this is possible.

The reason for few replies is probably just that the traffic on this board is at a low right now since the last ZC release was a long time ago. The traffic is sure to pick up again whenever DN deems a build worthy (i.e. stable) enough to release to Joe Public. Wish I knew what was going on with this, but I know better than to ask. :googly:

eXodus
11-11-2003, 12:11 AM
I dunno about the name - sounds more like what he'd be later in the game, after learning the weakness of the Robes. Other than a name, I'm mainly after ideas like "The <item> can become the <WizzRobe related magic / item>. It can be used to <special quest / dungeon usage>."

Example - The White Sword can become the Zap Spell (chain-lightning coming from his hands). It can be used to power up electrical devices, such as a shutter mechanism or light source.

Of course, this is anything but strict. You don't have to provide a special use or even the item to replace if you're not quite sure, as they can be figured out later. All that is needed is a possible item and a description of how it should look / act, and maybe a name.

As for the charge...

only the sword beam animates and pallete cycles

I know what you were getting at, and that was the kind of thing I was looking for before I tried it.