PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* I miss the replayability of the classics...

Dr4g0n0FCh40s
11-05-2003, 06:42 AM
Yes I miss the thing that most video games now days seem to lack. It seems like everything new gets boring after the first or second time playing them and than you never wanna touch the game for a month. I remember playing old games on my nintendo for weeks before I ever got tired of them, now some of the best games like GTA get really boring after the first time you finish them.

I hope this changes soon because right now the only games that you can keep playing for large amounts of time are internet games.

linkofzelda1
11-05-2003, 10:35 AM
This is a good thing in my case. I already have less than ideal time for homework. I really need to bring my gpa up instead of playing video games. Lol.

ShadowTiger
11-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Well that's why I like Zelda Classic. It's got virtually Infinite replayability, because you can just make your own games. Heck, I'm making a Wing Commander quest now. It won't even be a Zelda-game. Petoe is making a Mega-Man game. We'll see what comes of it.

* Woo! 4001st post. Red stars. :)

King
11-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Maybe you should pick up RPG Maker 2 for the PS2. There's already a growing community here (http://www.rpgmpavilion.com/), so you won't be in the dark if you're stumped on something.

Melonhead
11-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Thats one of the reasons that open-ended games do so well. GTA3 and Splinter Cell for example. GTA3 you can go wherever you want very early in the game, letting people have fun and mess around. And Splinter Cell offers the challenge of beating the game without killing anyone.
Rise of Nations would have been completely awesome if it had multiple world map choices for its conquer the world game mode.

Gerudo
11-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
Well that's why I like Zelda Classic. It's got virtually Infinite replayability, because you can just make your own games.[/color] while this is true, you can only play so many 'hack and slash' variants before it gets old ;)

inori
11-06-2003, 05:42 AM
This is why I still have all my old consoles. Why throw away a game with good replay value? It's not like the newer ones that are currently coming out are likely to compare favorably, on average.

Ian
11-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by inori
This is why I still have all my old consoles. Why throw away a game with good replay value? It's not like the newer ones that are currently coming out are likely to compare favorably, on average.

So do I (though, some don't work very well) If you loved the old games, then you should have kept them.

Petoe
11-06-2003, 03:04 PM
I have all my old consoles too because nowadays the games aren't what they used to be. I mean, if I compare the original Zelda and Wind Waker, I still can play and enjoy Zelda 1 whenever I have time but I won't never touch Wind Waker again because it wasn't anything special and it has zero replay value like almost all the games released in these days.

ZC was a dream come true because now I can make my own games and I actually like them more than most of the new games.

In my opinion games like Sim City and SSB: Melee has the best replay value if we take a look at the games of these days.

Melonhead
11-06-2003, 04:51 PM
The way that I judge old games is this:
Does it still have an active community of fans?
Does it have replay value?
And most importantly, is it fun?
Zelda is certainly like this.
It's not everygame that has a group of fans willing to put time and effort into a project like ZC.

ShadowTiger
11-06-2003, 05:05 PM
I think that gamers today are being spoiled. We used to appreciate everything which we got, and it made us happy. Now, we can do anything we want, and the overuse of that is driving the bar, way, way up.

In Warcraft II, I was DARN HAPPY to have been given an ally that could think for itself. Now, we get that all the time.

*sigh* Times really have changed. :shy:

MottZilla
11-11-2003, 03:38 PM
This is why more games need extra gameplay modes, including Multiplayer. Multiplayer is the easiest way to boost replay value. Anyone remember how big GoldenEye 007 was on N64? Or Perfect Dark? I can guarentee you it wasn't Single Player missions, it was the multiplayer madness! :O

Anyways, game developers these days I guess don't want their product to last so that way you will buy their next crappy game.

Dracula
11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
This is why more games need extra gameplay modes, including Multiplayer. Multiplayer is the easiest way to boost replay value. Anyone remember how big GoldenEye 007 was on N64? Or Perfect Dark? I can guarentee you it wasn't Single Player missions, it was the multiplayer madness! :O

True that. A lot of today's games need some multiplayer, GTA especially. I'd love to see a MMORPG made from the GTA3 engine.
Also, some ofthe single player classics didn't need multiplayer to boost up replay. The problem with today's single playergames is that they don't know how to make 'em anymore. :shrug:

gdorf
11-12-2003, 01:27 AM
I think this is why MMORPG's are becoming so popular. The idea that there is no beginning or end to a game thrills people. For instance, It is IMPOSSIBLE to complete everything in EQ, there is no way to complete every quest and sidequest, or get every item.

But I still love the classics. :)

Eddy
11-16-2003, 04:03 AM
Thats not true with some games, eg Soul Calibur 2, I still play it even though I have done everything on it.

inori
11-16-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Eddy
Thats not true with some games, eg Soul Calibur 2, I still play it even though I have done everything on it.

Yeah, but with too many games nowadays, you get to the end, and that's it. The game is no longer interesting. Many older games, for some reason, are more fun to play over and over again. For example, I just beat Zelda II for about the fiftieth time last night. :shrug: