PDA

View Full Version : Scientists conclude games are addictive

Paradox
11-04-2003, 11:24 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031104/ts_nm/tech_videogames_addiction_dc_5

What a suprise... :rolleyes:

phattonez
11-04-2003, 11:28 PM
They conclude what is now common sense. hmm.. me wonders about scientists. Seriously, some should work on things that actually matter. e.g. (no offense to Tsukuru) who cares about the string theory - it only works in the 10th dimension. There are more pressing issues; concluding that games are addictive isn't important to society. If games are proven addictive nothing will be done because this issue isnt important.

Jigglysaint
11-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Perhaps why I won't ever play any online games(besdes Shattered Earth) is because I do not want to fall into a trap. Can't speak for everybody else, but I tend to get addicted to games. Of course I still am, but I do mostly romhacking so I only play 8 bit nintendo(get the Blaster Master level editor at Zophar's domain today!)

cyberkiller6276
11-04-2003, 11:33 PM
I find this extremely funny. After video games have been around for almost 25 years, they now found this out? I wonder if any research was done on pong or SMB back in the day...Or any video game for that matter. 17 to 26 hours a week isn't that much compared to the late 80's. Back then, millions of gamers across the US were pulling 35 to 39 hours playing NES. It shows that gaming time has decreased within the masses over the years and that time is put towards other things...like the internet.

Melonhead
11-04-2003, 11:41 PM
This reminds me of the arguments on violent video games...
Studies have shown that kids raised playing toy soldiers are just as aggresive as kids raised on video games...
How do we know that any game playing activity is not addictive? Monopoly sure seemed pretty cool back in the day...

Master Ghaleon
11-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Ive been an addict since I was in diapers, 3 years old playin atari.

Melonhead
11-04-2003, 11:49 PM
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/violence1/
Interesting gamedev article on the history of violent video games, first in a series.
Check it out if you like to read about gaming politics, law, and history(like me!)

Ich
11-06-2003, 08:29 AM
This is a "duh."

I know guys who skip school to play Socom.